The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excessive creaking from rear end.
In my previous thread on this problem, after perusing all replies I have now started looking for the problem.
Today, I started by standing on the O/S running board and rocking the car up and down.  The creaking was
quite horrendous.  I then decided to drop the spring end of the shock absorber.  After this I repeated the 
rocking process to my surprise,  NO CREAKING.  (Am I on the right track)
I then proceeded to remove the complete shock absorber for inspection.  Incidentally, the nuts tensioning the 
spring were tightened to the extent where there was no give in the coil spring.
On dismantling the damper I find one of the Friction Discs broken in two.  I intend to replace both discs together with the brass discs. 
Now a question.  On checking the Centre Bolt into  the Centre Blade, I find it a bit sloppy.  Should it be a good slide fit
and is that a Bush that it slides into that I can see in the blade.  If so how does one move it for replacement and are they obtainable.  HELP.
There should be a bush that goes through the bracket fitted to the chassis.
Thanks Nigel.  Any idea, should it just knock out of the bracket.?
Not long did this work to my RP. All the bits are available from cherished suppliers including the discs (both friction and brass) bush, bolt, spring and nuts.

When refitting with all the right bits in place, the spring should not be quite coil bound.
Thanks David for the info.  I need to see if I can get the bush out now then.Cheers
As you reported that the rear shockers were overtightened do make sure that the bracket rivets to the chassis are absolutely tight.
You can obtain all the parts including new springs so I would recondition the lot.
The the setting of the spring tension is important, I set mine by using a spring balance on the end of the lever and find that 12lb just moving the lever seems to give good results.
Do not overtightened.

Hope that helps.
Thank you Nick for the advice and i'll try the 12lb method.  Sounds good. Cheers.