The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charging problem - suspect CFR2 cut-out
My 1936 ARR 6volt negative earth Ruby with the 35M dynamo is not charging. I know nothing about electrics but my friend has tested all the connections for voltage and amps using the article from the Cornwall Austin Seven Club and it appears the problem might be the cut-out solenoid not cutting in - i.e., the contact does not close.

Can anyone offer advice please?
We've managed to fix the problem with the help of the old forum and Cornwall and Bristol Club technical articles. The problem was the dynamo had become demagnetised probably through lack of use. Removed the dynamo, linked it up to the battery and let it run for a while. We were not sure how long we had to run it for and it was only kicking out a low voltage as it was running. We let it run forĀ  3-4 minutes overall.

Once re-installed and the timing reset, and with some high revving the red charge light began to fade and I could detect some movement of the ammeter showing some charge. Touch wood, or some other insulated material, I think we found the cure.