The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby hubs
    took the Ruby out yesterday , the first time it has been on the road for several years.
My son following in my new acquisition (a sort of modern Italian 7 ) [picture attached ]noticed a fairly severe wobble on the offside rear.
On investigation it is the hub that is buckled meaning the brake drum and wheel don’t run true.
I either need a new hub or has anyone any experience of flattening it to run true with a press as the problem is a result of the flanges being pulled out of true with a gear puller and it would seem to me that they should flatten back on a hydraulic press

By the way the Fiat had one little old lady owner, never raced or rallied 

Ian
Fiat Pandas are awesome little cars. They handle as is on rails. I had one several years ago and recall that i was able to drive from Llynclys to Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant (about 12 miles) on a fairly twisty road at 60mph all the way (before they made the two villages in between 30mph limits). On one occasion, I chased a 2.5 litre Vectra along there. He got away from me on the straights, but I was hanging onto his rear bumper as soon as it got bendy. Huge fun! I am sure you will enjoy driving it!
Hubs are sometimes damaged by crashes, use of claw pullers etc. It is common for hubs to work free on the axle shaft and damage both. All sorts of crude repairs may have been adopted, including welding so the hub needs to be removed with proper puller to check the exact cause. New hubs are available (two types) but a pity to mix with an imperfect axle. Many old posts on the  topic of hub fit. 
Flanges known to fail and brutal straightening does not help. Would need silicon sealer after. Would need to remove studs. Using a heavy vice could probably do much with a club hammer. Without a lathe and dummy axle a bit tedious to check progress. Scrap flywheel or heavy brake disc as anvil may be useful. Brake firms have mountains of old discs. A press would be worth a try but could be expensive if suitable rings not to hand.
Serious wobble likely to work the bearing loose on axle body with damage to the latter.
If the hub thread for puller is unuseable I gather some weld on a thick ring and pull on that
Have you fitted the offending wheel to the front hub and spun to ascertain that it's the rear hub at fault?

Has the axle key cocked up when fitting the hub causing this to sit not completely true?

Is the axle bent?

Last resort buy a new hub for peace of mind and speedy result.
I believe Russell could on the right track, particularly if the wheel was previously running true you may have a key that has failed and the hub spun slightly so it is now sitting cocked on the key remains.
Black Art Enthusiast