The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adventures...
Two young lads (20 & 21), are driving a ‘29 fabric saloon around Ireland - they are camping and have slept in car for at least one night.

They have shared some of their photos on FB - very nice to see.

If you follow Instagram (still working that one out, if I am honest) - you can follow them on: @jakemcc97

Loving that they are doing this.
Sounds brilliant! But alas instagram is a bit beyond me.

I hope a fabric saloon is more comfortable than an Ulster rep to sleep in!
Check out "Austin Seven" on FB Chris - I have just added you...
Thank you Ruairidh - those pictures are well worth a look!

They appear to have got half way around Ireland without using tarmac!!
For thse of us who cannot manage either Instagram or Facebook, here's a photo of the car that was sent to me by John Hall, who encountered the duo whilst in Ireland with the Imp Club:

.jpg   Fabric.jpg (Size: 121.47 KB / Downloads: 448)
How absolutely splendid!
Jake writes: "The 7½ hp Adventure Day 3. Made the ambitious decision to drive from Donegal to Galway. Broke down. Fixed it. Broke down again. Faffed for 3 hours. Fixed it. Went fishing. Camped in a park"
Really refreshing to see so much enthusiasm from two young people with a car that's old enough to be their great grandmother.
This is what we need: young people giving Sevens a go.

How do we get more to do it?

Jan points out that, even when we ourselves were young* we were in a minority - most contemporaries had Minors or Minis or the like - but it would be great to tap into the minority that still seems to be out there.

* I do acknowledge that a lot of you are whippersnappers like Ruairidh, but a lot of us are "getting on" a bit, too.
I note the Instagram states studying Motorsport Engineering at Coventry. Twould be good to hear if that background of confidence links with a previous generation or grandfather with the Seven, or how they stumbled into the area of interest...
I class myself as a young whippersnapper. Well I am ten years younger than my Mk1 Ruby although sometimes my body tells me that I am an old wippersnapper . Good to see the younger ones taking up Sevens good luck to them.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(02-06-2019, 10:22 AM)JonE Wrote: I note the Instagram states studying Motorsport Engineering at Coventry. Twould be good to hear if that background of confidence links with a previous generation or grandfather with the Seven, or how they stumbled into the area of interest...

John Hall's email mentions: ... The lad was only about 20, at a guess, but he said he'd just re-built the back axle for this trip and seemed to be mechanically minded. He said his father had all sorts of classic cars, including a vintage Rolls. The other lad's father had a Healey 3000 ...