The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austins Afloat
(31-05-2019, 08:40 PM)DaveT Wrote: Now that brings back distant memories, back in the early 1970's I was also at sea and our clinker built lifeboats had I believe Thetis or Triton engines, but it was never the middies job it was either the Junior or 4th Engineers responsibility in Elder Dempster & Blue Funnel lines. The first time we used the lifeboat in anger at anchorage off Apapa, Lagos the lifeboat started to sink and they had to use the derricks to raise us up out of the water. Oh the good old days now all long gone.

Coincidentally, I was a Middie with Elder Dempster, my first ship being M.V. Sobo, in 1958. As you  say, days long gone.
Hi,
I bought a 1933 based Thetis in the 1990's I got it running and took it to the 750 rally in Beaulieu.
It was in a sorry state the block was falling apart as was the manifold. the sump was cast iron with water cooling.
I passed the mounting plates and starting handle tower on to someone restoring an vintage launch. I have still got the the waterpump and its mount somewhere.
I took the engine apart to find sand in the sump and the front lip was broken I am sue the boat it was in had been sunk at some point.
I might still have the crank and rods.
Raw water cooling kills cast iron and aluminium.
There were pics on the internet labelled as an industrial engine by the poster who did not read the information with the engine.