The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Wire
Hello people
Just starting to rewrite 1936 Ruby.
Looking at the Essex colour diagram which shows + I’ve Earth
My Dynamo (which caused loads of trouble months ago) has been repaired by a good friend BUT is 
- I’ve Earth.
I was going to follow the diagram as shown changing the  battery connections.
Any comments or advice welcome.
Regards
             Tim
Is it a Mk I or Mk II Ruby? The production change to +ve I believe occurred during 1936, possibly when the Mk II was introduced, I understand that the belief that positive charging of the chassis & bodywork reduced the rate of steel corrosion, many UK-built cars continued with this until the 1960's, I think that the wide use of alternators put paid to +ve.

Unless you have any polarity sensitive equipment, or plan to fit any, such as a sat.nav./phone charger, then it does not matter, so long as you re-polarise the dynamo, always a good idea to do this anyway if you are unsure what it was before, or it has been inactive for an extended period of years.

LED bulbs and electronic ignition modules can all be +ve, no right or wrong on which way you want it to be...!
Many thanks for that.
Is the starter motor direction dependant on the Earth used ?

Forgot mention we have a 3 bearing crank so assume Mk2
Repolarising the dynamo can be done with the battery in place, wired as standard with positive or negative earth, and closing the cutout manually just for a moment. It must be re-opened manually. This is important as it will hold itself closed and burn things out if you do not do this.
Robert Leigh
Robert
Just gone through weeks of Dynamo problems.
Now rebuilt and set to negative Earth so I would really like to keep to that.
If you are up in Leek let me know I will buy you a drink.
Regards
Tim Johnson (previously of Burford house Whiston)
The starter will always go the same direction regardless of polarity so you don't need to worry. 

It's because of how the armature and the field coils are connected. When you reverse the polarity of the power supply you change the polarity in both the coils and the armature so the direction of rotation stays the same.

Simon
To expand further, the starter is wired as a typical electric drill, which operate on reversing AC.
Thanks for the help.
Great news the engine has actually run
This must be the first time in years
Sounds FABULOUS
Next job oil in gearbox and axel
Let’s see if it will go ?
Still lots of bodywork to do mainly the roof
Also new wiring harness to fit
Well done Tiger - it's a great feeling isn't it?
Yes it certainly is.
Great incentive to get on and complete.
Updates to follow