The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morons
I cannot comment Tony - I don’t use tapered bearings, sorry.
surely the simple fix is to turn the stub square to fit an off the shelf bearing, or if not possible fit a sleeve so that it is
Sorry to labour this for no other point than curiosity, but was the welded bearing a proper taper one? When the photos revealed a tapered stub I presumed the welding was to seat a conventional bearing?
(30-05-2019, 09:26 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: surely the simple fix is to turn the stub square to fit an off the shelf bearing, or if not possible fit a sleeve so that it is

You can turn a square?
Blimey Hedd, that must be a clever lathe 

Charles
lol. A lathe is just a backward horizontal milling machine!

i didnt use the word parallell as I dont think I can spell it
Hi hedd,

I understand what you are saying, and I've had parts in were this has been done.

But that's just not me.

If it was a special, then that's a different story.

Bob,

After all the cursing over what a previous moron had done, I didn't even check the bearing.

If I remember I'll check tomorrow.

Tony.
(30-05-2019, 09:53 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: lol. A lathe is just a backward horizontal milling machine!

A real engineer makes flat things in a lathe and round things on a milling machine!

Charles
No, Charles, a real Engineer designs things that he gets a mechanic to make.
Alan Fairless
(30-05-2019, 09:53 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: lol. A lathe is just a backward horizontal milling machine!

Isn't it 'all the l's '

(30-05-2019, 09:26 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: surely the simple fix is to turn the stub square to fit an off the shelf bearing, or if not possible fit a sleeve so that it is

Because the early (and sometimes later) stub axles are prone to cracking I would think turning the taper bearing seating to parallel would weaken it further (the stub is somewhat hollowed out as well)
Tony, all the later ones that Ive had that were cracked did so on the vertical face between the stub and the king pin bearing.

I take your point about thinning the stub, but there are other options. Make a tapered sleeve to push on, perhaps find a suitable bearing with a bigger ID. Or butter it up with weld, normalise and turn.

I could also get one of the minions here to do a FEA analysis. But then I'd have to do some material testing, and work out the loading. That's a ball ache.