The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morons
Hi R,

Many thanks for the offer, it's apreciated. I've sorted the quadrant and found out why there are two different sizes. Ive sent you the one for your car, buy let me know if it doesn't fit.

I have several pairs of stubs for 6 inch cars 1924 to 1926 with the holes drilled for small back plate.

And yes before anyone suggests, I know the holes can be welded up. But I do try to get things right if I can.

This stub axle is one I bought especially being a 1922 to 1923 without backplates.

When I'm looking to build a car, I try to make sure I have the rear and hard parts. So I'm not left panicing. I have a total of 6 1922 to 1923 stubs. But as Tony press suggests, they need crack testing as well as the other checks. I just hope I can save a nice pair.

On the lighter side.

I was out early this morning taking the 6 inch shoes to my bonding guy.

On ruairidh advise they are being bonded with green gripper.

3 day turn round Big Grin without suggesting I'm in a hurry.

Hopefully we will have brakes on the 1925 by next weekend. And the car hopefully ready for guildtown.

I hate leaving thing to the last minute, but a company let me down over chassis repaires on this car. So everything is two months behind.

Never mind it keeps us on our toes, Tony.
I don’t think the axle has dust covers either Tony, let me find it and get back to you.

The green gripper was endorsed by Steve Jones to me - I am yet to try it so will be interested in your experience. I don’t use bonded linings but many do and they are very happy.
Thanks R,

I'm fine with the bonding, I actually prefer it. ESPECIALLY on cast iron / steel shoes.

It may be better to be behind me, instead of in front on saterdays road run Big Grin

Tony.
(30-05-2019, 10:31 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The green gripper was endorsed by Steve Jones to me - I am yet to try it so will be interested in your experience.  I don’t use bonded linings but many do and they are very happy.

So, no pressure there then boys Confused

Steve
Hi steve,

My man did say why green gripper???
As a matter of interest how are conventional bearings used on taper hubs? Do users turn up a flanged filler ring?
Steve,

I have never, ever, been let down by any of your recommendations - solid, that is all.
Bob - I understand that the inner race needs to be specially ground to suit - Willie McKenzie used to make them, he may still do.
A few years ago Willie sold me the last set he had, I got the impression at the time he was not getting any more, however that may have now changed?
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi R,

I've not tackled willie McKenzie myself on the price of bearings.

But I've been told by others they are £125.00 each from willie?

As I say this price hasn't come dirrect from willie.

I guess if you have to have them to be able to drive the car, then you just pay it.

Personally for a £3.00 non discript bearing plus machining, if that truely is the price. Then it's to much for me.

Over the years I have saved a number of hubs with good useable taper bearings, clean and regrease. Then use again.

Call me tight, but I've spent the money on more important parts for the car.

Tony.