The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morons
I am glad I did not broach the topic but just in case anyone makes wrong assumptions, on 1934 and Girling stubs I have found them cracked at the large radius. On my car half thru the tube at 100,000 lhs, rhs ok. A mate had one shear off, fortunately at 1/2 mph when pushing the car! Cars here had a hard life with a lot of metal road corrugations and broken road edges.
(incidentally, on other makes of cars and on trailers cornered hard failure often occurs from the top side)
If testers here twig that welding or heating has been applied it is or is supposed to be a w.o.f fail.
I have a pair of brand new tapered wheel bearings left from when I had a 1926 Chummy. I will pass on at cost if anyone is in need.
I've checked the offending bearing.

It was a taper bearing.

John, what was the at cost.

Tony.
I'll dig out the bearings and the receipt this weekend Tony and let you know.

John
With modern machine tools it is possible to find a workshop that can machine the bore of a standard 60 Rockwell C wheel bearing (SKF RMS 10) to a taper bore to suit the axle taper, at reasonable cost (no grinding needed).