The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morons
I regularly come across austin seven morons?

But today's has had me spitting feathers.

Ok this was done a long wile ago, but that doesn't stop stoopidity.

I needed to sort some shoes out for the 1925 pram hood build, so I've been stripping axles today.

Until I came to this one, it a 1923 stub axle I bought for the 1923 I'll eventually get on to.

I struggled to remove the hub, so I seperated it. Only to find this.

[attachment=6658]

What you see here is some plank, has welded the bearing to the stub axle???

[attachment=6659]

So I've had to have the bringer out.

[attachment=6660]

The bearing lets say knackered,

But I'll have to waite until I start the 1923 to find out if I can revive the stub.

Morons.

[attachment=6661]
so why would it have been done in the first place?
Oh ouch! It never ceases to amaze me either Tony, the things done by some owners past and present are, as you say, incredibly stoopid.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi JonE,

All I can say is the axle was used for a trailor, so I guess you don't need to many brain cells to cobble one of those at home.

I take it he used it with one bearing only in the hub.

You really should see the play in that bearing, it's almost funny.

IAN,

I would have been so mad if it was a more common part, but you just don't trip over to many 1923 stubs today.

Tony.
Absolutely 100% with you.
Black Art Enthusiast
The workmanship on older cars is often abyssmal, and by no means all amateur work. It is almost normal for cartridge filters to be assembled incomplete. Home made trailers are a minefield, and even commercially built are dubious with ring welded stubs.

Possibly the spacer was lost or the hub was assembled without, and the wheel later worked loose
Well lads,

After attacking it with the grinder, this is what we have.

Hopefully it will clean up ok.

Just hope the bearing surfaces are still good enough to hold, after the bearing abuse.

Tony.

[attachment=6662]
If not, I am almost certain that I have some tapered bearing stub axles Tony - from your picture, that looks like it will be fine however. Let me know.
Years ago, as a day release student in "Tech", a fellow classmate worked for a garage that sold Heinkel Bubble cars. They were plagued by wheel nuts coming loose. The foreman's solution was a spot weld on the wheel nuts!!!
Hi Tony.

As you know- before you spend too much time on recovering the taper you need to check for signs of a crack in the backplate.

Cheers, Tony.