The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front axle stamped numbers
Hi all, 

While at the blacksmith / chassis works shrinking the worn king pin eyes only my front axle (a 1929 SWB chassis - Australian) we noticed some numbers stamped into the forging. They are a bit hard to make out - see photo below.  Could be 45 225 or A5 225 or 43 225 or A3 225 or something else entirely. I have chosen not to disturb them with a wire brush or sandpaper yet in fear I may obliterate something I shouldn’t. 

Would these be a part number or a serial number of some sort?

Andrew
Melbourne 
Australia

Andrew, This is almost certainly a chassis number; 45225 would be from a 1927 car, and 145225 would date from late 1931. It's just possible the first digit is stamped upside-down, in which case 75225 dates from early 1929.
(25-05-2019, 08:31 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Andrew, This is almost certainly a chassis number; 45225 would be from a 1927 car, and 145225 would date from late 1931. It's just possible the first digit is stamped upside-down, in which case 75225 dates from early 1929.

Thanks Mike, 
I looked everywhere in the ‘identifying your seven’ corners of the internet and found no reference to serial numbers on front axles, would be interesting if it is. When I get it back home for the blacksmith I’ll carefully strip the paint off and see if I can deduce any more detail.
The chassis, which has no numbers, is definitely between May and October 1929 because of its structure. Of course this axle may not be the original one for the car.... one of the joys of Austin sevens. 
Andrew
Depending on intended use, reinforcing the eyes with welding seems prudent. Check for cracks where the H section commences; more a problem with later heavier cars and Girlings. Welding (and heating!) is illegal here and needs to be disguised.
here is a standard front that is clean... marked 23563, so feasible it could be a chassis number?