The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1932 RP Battery Box
Sorry Jamie, Got the names mixed up.

Hi Jamie, the battery box in the RP has been "Butchered" so it is difficult to get an accurate measurement.
The depth is my main concern, Will it foul the chassis?
The overall dimensions of an assembled box would be great if possible. They do list two sizes. Any info you can get would be appreciated. Thanks
Smiley
I shall try and check, if I make it up there.
Good morning.

I measured a battery box yesterday when I visited Oxfordshire Sevens.

They are actually closed for the rest of week and open again on the 4th June. I was lucky that they were in.

The opening is 153mm by 190mm. There is a flange around the top to support the box when it is dropped into the hole in the floor. There are two depths of boxes. The standard box is 175mm deep, but they do a deeper version at 195mm. The deeper version is to accommodate modern batteries, some of which are apparently taller than older designs. They did say that they will adjust the sizes to suit your measurements, if you wish.

The boxes are supplied fully assembled, ready to fit. However, they can be provided in parts, if preferred. On the car which I saw there, the fully assembled box would just drop straight in.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Jamie.
Hi Jamie,  Thank you very much for your help.  I can now check battery size etc and order a battery box accordingly.
As a matter of interest, would you know roughly how far Oxfordshire Sevens is from Bicester.
(29-05-2019, 09:13 AM)Smiley Wrote: would you know roughly how far Oxfordshire Sevens is from Bicester.

Approximately four miles.
They are about 10 to 15 minutes away from Bicester, between Marsh Gibbon and Stratton Audley.
Hi Jamie, Thanks for the info.  I have now checked all dimensions and will need to go for the deeper one of the two (195).  I have emailed Oxford Sevens  again and hopefully they will respond when they return from their Hols.
Cheers.
Smiley
Smiley - My thoughts are that your battery box may not be any different from the original Chummy ones which were still I know being installed in 1931 Ulsters, so maybe no alterations for the RP?  Unlike the ones you'll buy nowadays, the sides were tapered and secured at the bottom only, allowing you to flex in the unit until it's top flanges fitted up over the hole when installing the box from underneath.  A completely assembled box the correct size will rarely fit in from above.  You can then secure a flange or two to the top of the floor, but usually the fit of the battery holds the sides out to the hole edges, so not always necessary.  If you're capable of bending pieces of sheet metal, why not have a go yourself?  If interested, contact me on ausevenoz@gmail.com and I'll email you the necessary drawings for your DIY.   Good Luck,  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
If you fold & make your own,as has been said, be sure you can fit it in from above. Don't ask how I know!
Hi David,  Sounds like you have been grovelling under the car with a battery box.
Being only slightly younger than the RP, I'll probably take your advice. Don't fancy
going under.  Cheers.