The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Excessive transmission noise in car.
Mark,
I am beginning to think you may be right regarding the noise from the front end. 
I drove the car tonight and am inclined to think the engine/gearbox could be the source as you suggested.
The engine can only be described as being quite worn so does make a few odd noises, it sounds quieter under the bonnet than inside the car.
I replaced the drive shaft which had 0.015” circumferential movement on the splines.
The spare one I fitted had less than 0.005” movement. Unfortunately it made no difference to the sound, but at least I can discount that being noisy.
I did make an audio recording inside the car but it was not good enough to draw any conclusions from.
I intend to rebuild the engine in the winter so maybe I will just have to use earplugs till then.

Roger
I know its a long shot. but check how much play you have in the fan bush. I replaced mine and was amazed at how much quieter the car was!.
David,

Thanks for that, it seem every part of the car wants to join in with the noise.
Of course it would also help if I fitted carpets to deaden the sound.

Roger
Np. Don't do that. You will lose contact with the car.
Ok, ear plugs are probably cheaper anyway!

Roger
Check your propshaft - the UJ's should be exactly in alignment, if they are at right angles to each other, the propshaft is fighting itself and would give rise to excessive noise, easy to check and simple to resolve, good luck.
Thanks Garry,

This is how mine is fitted, A is aligned to B, also the short length is to the rear, long part to the gearbox.
Is that ok or does it not matter which way round the shaft is fitted?

Roger
Yes, that is correct, so ruled out!
(25-05-2019, 08:56 AM)Roger Wrote: Thanks Garry,

This is how mine is fitted, A is aligned to B, also the short length is to the rear, long part to the gearbox.
Is that ok or does it not matter which way round the shaft is fitted?

Roger

I don't doubt for one minute that this is correct, but would it be possible for someone to explain to me why the long part of the shaft has to be this way round please. 
I haven't heard this before and wondered what the reasoning is. Would it be to do with the amount that the axle goes up and down compared to the gearbox?
Many thanks for your time.
Graham
My RP has the early type Hardy Spicer rear joint and a fabric coupling at the front, so the plunging joint is at the rear. I suspect that it is something to do with he angularity of the joint when the rear suspension moves, as the front of the torque tube pivots on the ball on the rear cross member.