The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Excessive transmission noise in car.
Since completing my renovation and driving the car for the first time I found it to be excessively noisy.
I jumped to the conclusion that it was rear axle/diff so dismantled and checked, all things looked good.
It was still the same noise so fitted new Cw & Pinion etc. All to no avail just the same sound.
An A7 friend accompanied me in the car recently and described the sound as being very “rough grating” but probably not the back axle. The sound is possibly transmitted into the body by the torque tube socket which may be too tight also very close to and possibly touching the bodywork. How tight should this be?
Transmission is Hardy Spicer and in good condition. 
Where else could the cause of this annoying sound be originating from.
The car is 1933 RP box.

Roger
Fabric coupling hitting the handbrake?
Thanks for your reply.
No I fixed that one a while ago.
This is constant when driving less so on overrun, it happens in all gears, more noticeable the higher the speed. It sounds like a gearbox with no oil in it would (not that I ever have done).

Roger
A 33 Box should have a 4 speed crash box, which are usually pretty sturdy. Has it been fitted with a later synchromesh one as they are not... A crash box has a big nut on the forward end of the gearbox cover.

[Image: Gearbox%202.jpg]

The lateer synchro boxes do suffer wear in the layshaft due to worn thrust washers. This could be the source of your noise.
Hi Roger

I had a terrible grating noise on my 36 special which turned out to be the flywheel cover touching the starter ring gear. Also be aware that noise generated at one end of the car often appears to come from the other!  (That from someone who is tone deaf and wears hearing aids!!!)

Cheers

Howard
The original box had lost it’s speedo drive gear so was replaced with a 4speed synchro box, not a good move then.
The sound is more from the rear of the car, but that may be very misleading.
I have not checked the gearbox, what is the most likely problem area?

Roger
It is hard to imagine noise originating in the torque tube ball joints but these must move freely thru range or there is risk of breakage.Likely not be acheivable without a slight knock when drive reverses etc. 
As you have observed the metal to metal contacts transfer noise. 
Noise level is high but few other cars have the gearbox directly exposed in the cab!
Hi Howard,
It sounds more like a dry gear mesh noise. It’s very difficult to describe without miss Leading.

Roger
Is there actually any oil in the gearbox? the level should be 1/2" below the filler plug threads. SAE30 or 25W/50
Thanks Bob,

My thoughts are:-
1) Gearbox
2) transmission shaft
3) rear axle
As sources of the sound, travelling at say 30/35 mph it is very distracting but pleasant when foot is lifted off accelerator.

Roger

Yes, plenty of oil, just under filler plug..
And 140 in diff.

Roger