The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic Distributor
Mine definitely had white heatsink paste under the black bit.. stuck on the metal baseplate. I'm presuming that might not be included on the kits where you are bolting a metal sub-plate onto the existing non-electronic distributor base?

Is there anything one could do to improve heat dissipation on such units? i.e. that might not be done because it is labour intensive, but that we could do easily.
Hi, Have you done any more about getting & fitting a Accuspark unit? Interested in this upgrade (probably wrong word) as my DKH4A positive earth is very worn at the point the rotor arm connects to the shaft and it appears to be causing a cut into one of the rotor cap contacts. I’m guessing the rotor arm is rocking about on the shaft but obviously it’s difficult to see it in action! 
It’s on a 1932 box Saloon. Seems to be a lot of different views on which cap & arm fit. All suggestions greatly appreciated... 

Colin..  Smile
There has been much posted on this subject — my experience is with a Pos earth Powerspark baseplate fitted to a DK4A. The latter in good condition. This, with a red rotor arm, set me back about fifty quid in October 2016 when it was put on the car prior to a 3500 mile trip through Europe.
The car has now done over 5000 miles with this conversion and runs better than it ever did with points.

Charles — in very wet Norfolk.
I have had an Accuspark fitted for a couple of years at least I purchased it at Guildtown a few years back. It did not work day 1 (sorry Ruairidh) we both agreed that I would take it on approval, being a retired electronics engineer I figured it was more to do with my car than the unit. I found it was very sensitive to electrical noise so I installed a special filter and all was  fine till I upgraded my engine and it now revs in excess of 5000rpm. What I found was the engine started to misfire as the temperature came up above (70deg on hills). I had no idea what it was and tended to live with the problem till it revealed itself. Recently I went on holiday in the Highlands and decided to climb Glenelg and take the ferry to Skye. The engine failed completely and was traced to the Hall Effect sensor at the side of the road, it just died.

After getting towed back I contacted Accuspark and initially they wanted £44.95 for Kit 39, reducing it to £20 with proof of purchase of the original distributor. I was not keen to fit the same part again as I suspected there is an issue with that part.

However I found a part ETC5835K costing £18.66 + VAT and postage that looked exactly similar. Here is a video of my failure and any comment would be welcome.

Distributor fail
I was very happy indeed with the running of my Accuspark but I've bought two ignition kits direct from Hong Kong for fitting a UK Lucas 25D4 unit to a future car, the sensors being about 18 quid each. There was one kit on ebay for just over 15 quid... so that clearly is about trade price.

The key thing seems to be 'carry a spare' that you can easily and stresslessly fit when or if one decides to expire. But some seem to be remarkably problem-free.
Alastair’s (The Prisoner) unit worked, just not on his car - until he fitted a filter.

The Hall sensor is the part that fails - some immediately and some not yet! Carrying a spare is very sensible idea.

I have mentioned elsewhere potential cause and things to check before fitting one.

JonE - can you link to the units you mention above please? Also, are any positive earth?
Ruairidh - search aliexpress... but don't blame me if they are made of ice cream...

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-2...electronic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stealth-Elect...3549691070

all the sensors seem to much the same and I'm sure I've seen some positive but not as cheap. Instructions dont seem good on chinese site...
Thank you Jon, much appreciated - I suspect they are all made of ice cream, some melt quicker, that’s all!
no rum and raisin to it all.
The ones I ordered from China - 2 for under 40 quid posted with all the proper grommet for the 25D4 - came badged as.... Accuspark! Their website, Stealth and all that.

Arrived in about 4 days too.
I have updated my Video on a possible alternative sensor for the Austin seven Accuspark Distributor, it appears there is a 39.5deg difference in the trigger point changing the dwell angle if you just shift the timing.