The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30VE1 (again!)
Having boasted earlier that the car started & ran & the 30VE1 didn't leak.....
Well several months later it does leak! Is there a gasket between the bowl & the top? I think not. But what stops fuel leaking out of the bowl?
The leak seems to be from the main body, but it is difficult to work out! I dare not tighten things up too much...ancient Mazac!
I now notice that there should be a spring on the throttle lever to choke cam as there are two tiny holes (one in the lever, the other in the body ) to take a coil spring similar to the one on the choke spindle....any ideas where I might find one?....not too critical as all it does is open the throttle  a bit when you operate the choke , but nice to have. Found it!!C Little devil to fit. Reassembled the carb, tomorrow I will see if it still leaks....
The 30VE1 rebuild kit I had from Carburetor Hospital contained a gasket to fit between carb body and top of bowl, however I think the float and needle valve should maintain the fuel level well below the top of the bowl rendering this a "nice to have" rather than an essential. From memory it is 0.4 mm thick, or .010" in old money.
I recall reading somewhere about an emulsion block becoming porous, which might just explain your leak if the float and needle valve are working correctly.
David - would be interested to know what the serial number or C number is on top, just in looking at the different variants on Nippies and others. What are you running it on?
The top says 30VE1 6985 and the bowl has a number "08631"
Main jet is 90 slow Running 60 Compensating 55 Capacity tube 2 (I think!) no "progression jet" Choke I haven't measured/spotted.
I agree that if the float level is OK there is in theory no need for a bowl/top gasket (none on the updrafts!). My overflow appeared to come from the choke  (ie into the manifold ) end. Just lots of fuel! (overchoked?)
Will try & start it again this week. I haven't put the silencer back yet....