The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage tyre
I wouldn't use a 50 year-old tyre even as a spare. If you have a puncture the problem caused by different profiles and flexibility with, say, a new Longstone will be uncomfortable if not dangerous.
Of course, if you only value your life at £500.00 or so, don't buy new tyres!
When I bought my RP saloon in October, it was fitted with a set of Avon Triple duties which were serviceable but I suspect had been fitted when the car was restored some 45 to 50 years ago. I used them until they were about 1 and 1/2 mm and then had four new tyres. Being on a fixed budget, I found some Mitas HN 02 tyres advertised as being suitable for light vintage cars, so I bought a set at £40.00 a cover. They are actually a motorcycle tyre, but have proved to be  really rather satisfactory is service. They were a bit 'skittish' at first but once they had done a couple of hundred miles they settled in quite well and the transformation in the car's handing is quite startling. The old tyres were in good condition, but had gone very hard which I suspect did not improve matters.

I hvae now done 1300 miles on them.  I am running them at 26 psi front and back and seem to grip well.

I have, however, retained the Avon that was fitted to the spare, as it appears never to have been on the road and holds its pressure well. If I ever have to use it, though, I shall remember that it is a odd tyre and drive accordingly, a bit like one has to with these modern space saver tyres.
Would you chance a 50 year old condom?
(18-05-2019, 08:44 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Would you chance a 50 year old condom?

I'll send you a bill for cleaning the spray of coffee from my white linen shorts!
Big Grin 
A reply suggests itself but I don't want to lower the tone any further!
Since we are full of doom and gloom, the other side better be presented.

I bought a 1935 chrome rad 2 seater nearly 20 years ago. It was a stalled project and had been sat 10 years when I bought it. It came with 4 brand spanking avons, and a similar pattern but clearly much older part worn firestone.  

When I sold it to buy my steam roller I kept the tyres. 2 Avons went on the front of fathers RP. The other 2 on my RL. All with wheel swaps, so all got a 'visual'. And all passed MOT back then. The firestone was hung on the wall. When I got the RP here 3 years ago the Avons were still on the front but near worn out. I fitted the Firestone and an old Avon SM I had. The better avon went on the spare. Ive now worn out the Firestone and the SM is getting there so a new pair for the front is imminent. 

The pair of Avons that went on my RL went on a set of red wheels I bought from it, I find the earlier closed centre wheels less durable than the open centre ones, and after numerous single spoke breakages and getting fed up of painting wheels red I fitted a set of black wheels about 5 years ago with a pair of brand new longstones on the front and a pair of brand new 350-400 Excelsiors on the back.

The black wheels and tyres were meant for the chummy, so when I put that back on the road 12months or so ago the old avons on the red wheels went on the front. Some spare 400's on open centre wheels on the back. But I have since fitted a pair of closed centre wheels (Ex Mr Betts) with another 'used' set of tyres. A pair of Mitas 400's. 

Now with 2 cars running entirely 'old' tyres, one even with motorcylce tyres. And one car on what are fairly 'new' tyres youd expect me to be well placed to comment on the relative differences. 

My comments are that I can percieve no noticable difference in grip between old and new. It is actually the car on the newer tyres that ive had the arse end out recently. Even the Mitas on the back of the chummy, somoeone told me they were particularly unsuitable. My view is that they are perfectly fine. 

Tyres (or rims!) that are so bad that that the tube is going to make an appearance should be obvious enough to even the most incompetent Austineer. Particularly with the wheel off the car.
Odd things, tyres. I had a Golf once on Michelin ZXs. The ride and handling compromise was legendry - if was even possible to drift it on a tailing throttle into a wet bend. Worn out, they were replaced with a new set. Result, dreadful; a much harsher ride and violent, lift-off oversteer. On 7s it never seemed to matter what was fitted, it was just as tricky with the same make all round; an odd mixture of makes; canvas showing through; half-worn; 20 p.s.i. or 35 p.s.i. However, if I had a preference, it might be for Avon sidecar, they seemed to make the cars just a little more controllable, but that might just have been be my imagination.