The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lick of paint Mr Faulty...
So, today I went to start the Chummy and it was seized!

The battery has been soft so I installed another, still locked, so fitted a new starter motor - same!

Eventually, with much rocking in gear, I freed it - fired up and drive around the block, on returning I noticed it was boiling - many bubbles!!

Head gasket, I thought.  Removed all nuts - no movement!  I built this engine in 2004 and it has done 43K since - the head was an original vintage aluminium Ricardo which has performed faultlessly but was now well and truly seized onto the block.

I fired up the engine and revved, it ran on all four cylinders but did not budge.  I used my magnificent induction coil heater on all the studs, got them glowing cherry red - no movement.  By now we are 3 1/2 hours in, my back is killing me and it is 25c (yes! 25c in Glasgow!!)...

I have a strong cup of coffee and phoned father - he suggests what I have concluded and dreaded.

Huge and sharp chisel arrives - still no movement!!

Huger and sharper chisel arrives plus more induction heat - MOVEMENT!!!!!!

It now takes and hour to get the head fully off - my back is in absolute agony at this point, I am 6' 3", the engine is near my knees.  I remove the gasket and store it for a rainy day (see picture).  

I fit another head and gasket - on tightening a stud snaps!!!

I replace stud, head, tighten, fill with water - it starts and runs sweet!  6 hours after starting I pick up the girls from school (in said Chummy), take them to Tennis, return home, cook the dinner and lie on the kitchen floor in a desperate attempt to straighten my spine.  This getting older sh*t is pretty poor I have to tell you.

Seizure due to water intake and hydraulic lock - I presume.

FOR SALE - original Ricardo head - one careful owner - free head gasket, only used once.

PS - Tony Griffiths was the last person to drive this car and it was perfect before he did so!!!
Brilliant summary!
A drop of local falling down water is now in order!
David
I'm on it David!
(16-05-2019, 09:01 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: PS - Tony Griffiths was the last person to drive this car and it was perfect before he did so!!!

I was about to suggest something, but you got there first  Big Grin
Yes, but it ran out of fuel afer 200 yards! Still, I was very impressed with both the take off and handling. A driving test winner, for sure...
I checked the tank today Anthony - it was half full!
What you need is a special "Wortley" head. This is a standard vintage type with 60 thou off and the combustion chambers reshaped by hand, with a grinding wheel held in a drill, so that it resembles a late Ruby type. Looks standard, goes well.
'Twas on a Monday morning, the Gas Man came to call....................................
(16-05-2019, 09:40 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: What you need is a special "Wortley" head. This is a standard vintage type with 60 thou off and the combustion chambers reshaped by hand, with a grinding wheel held in a drill, so that it resembles a late Ruby type. Looks standard, goes well.

Ah - you thought my replacement head was standard!