The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff Carrier Bearings - thrust side?
Photo 
Hi all,

I'm reconditioning a diff and hit a little snag.  The Woodrow book simply states that the diff carrier bearings need to be pressed on while the Essex Club guide makes a point about the orientation (thrust side facing out).  My new bearings are not marked with "thrust" so how do I know which is which?  See attached photo with a pink and blue side.

Thanks

Steve & Tate Davidson
Perpetual Amateur Austineers
The thrust side in the 'closed' side (i.e. the bit with the writing on) as per your first photo.
The 'pink' side of this angular contact bearing is fitted toward the crown wheel carrier, the outer 'blue' ring is fitted  into the diff housing.
Thanks Tony,

Any chance you can explain how you picked which side was the thrust?  I assume it's because the "closed side" allows force to be applied to the centre of the ball but maybe that's not it.

Thanks again for the reply
Steve & Tate Davidson
Think of the angular contact bearing as a cross between a radial ball bearing and a ball thrust bearing - the raised shoulders on the inner and outer ring are 'thrust' faces - the axial thrust causes the balls to 'ride up' these thrust faces .  

The reduced shoulder on the non thrust side allows for installation of a larger number of  balls, increasing the axial  and radial load capacity.
Reference to the picture should show that thrust (pressure) can only be applied in one direction. Incorrect assembly will cause the bearing to fall apart or last a very short time - like the wheel bearings I replaced in my father's 1966 Riley 4/72 when I was a lad. 500 miles they lasted. I've always rememered the correct way round from that experience.

.jpg   00014D0D_16_9-schaeffler-products-angular-contact-ball-bearings_rwd_1200.jpg (Size: 52.53 KB / Downloads: 83)
Thanks for the explanation Tony, you are all very generous with your knowledge.  I like knowing what to do, but l love knowing why and your answer has provided that answer.

Thanks Paranzie, your explination and drawing are much appreicated 

thanks for the info
Steve & Tate Davidson