The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice please- 16 year old and an A7 bitsa
I started to build the Ulster (I still have) aged 15 - the beauty of this model is that it is easy to restore once you have a body, all the parts required are easily purchased or made and it was road legal in time for my 17th birthday.

I started to build my first Cup Model aged 40 - almost all the parts for this model, from the chassis up, are unique. Some are made but many are not, to do a proper job of it is time consuming and expensive. I am hoping to finish this car in time for my 47th birthday!

As a student I drove an RN saloon - quite different from the Ulster, but just as lovely and perfect for me throughout that time.

My point is, that to keep my interest and start me off I needed something that I could drive when my licence arrived - had I not completed the car I think I might have got more into my 850cc mini van and possible the Corsair 2000E my grandfather had given me.

Perhaps an interested and savvy grandfather could sponsor the purchase of something more complete that required a smaller amount of work - this would allow the grandson get on the road and enjoy driving it sooner? This move would almost certainly lead to the purchase of a second "project" which could be built up over a longer period of time, perhaps a more obscure or rarer model?

Don't be put off by the "not another Ulster" brigade, many of them cut their teeth on such cars and, as previously mentioned, they are popular for a reason having gotten many a foot into the door of driving Sevens for life.

I think the Chrome Rad. Two Seater (Opal), is a perfect little machine for introducing younger members to the joys of A7s without breaking the bank. The are open tourers, with storage space and motor along just the thing.

Good luck and I look forward to reading about whatever you decide to do.
There is a complete Austin 7 chassis kit on ebay at the moment advertised at £899. Looks to have most major bits, engines, axles, wheels etc.
Ruairidh, thanks for the advice...whilst a GE cup (and even more so a Brooklands) would be a great thing to build (I love the way the bodies are built!) you’re quite right, they are quite special, and to do one justice, it has to be done right. Seeing the progress of yours on here and some of the Austin Facebook posts make me realise it wouldn’t be practical.

I need to take a refresher course on the Austin 7 models...I had forgotten the Opal.

....Bruce I have spotted this...and know the seller ?

Thanks all.
Another way to build up a special is to use 100pct scrap parts for the mock up, get it looking like a car, make a start on the body, then as time and money permits put the restored bits on to get it rolling. Add any cast off smokey old engine and rough wheels and tyres to chug round a field while building up an oil tight clean running engine, decent box, and sorting out some wheels and tyres you'd trust. Over time better seats, extra instruments, period lights instead of the 2cv ones etc etc etc. No need for a dynamo to start with. Use a modern rad to start with. Improve the body over time with a better fitting hinged bonnet, throw the motorbike mudguards away and make some. You get the idea.

The same approach could even apply to the "mock up chassis", any old rust riddled loose riveted cast off to start with and repair or replace as time and money permits.

Parts good enough to end up on a finished car are expensive, all the rubbish folk can't quite bring themselves to scrap but nobody would actually pay money for might drift into his workshop through friends and friends of friends.

With it looking like a car, the motivation might be there to earn some money to get it done properly. If it looks like it really will get done it makes sense to get bits for christmas and birthdays. I've seen a car getting close to finished also sparks enthusiasm and generosity in others, be that parts, time to advise or help, loan of tools.

A Reliant OHC engine and box is another thought for a swift road car or trials special. However I looked on ebay and even those are nothing like as cheap as I remember.

...or build a Locost? Ron Champion designed that for school kids to build. A friend had a £40 Morris Minor engine in his Sprite, but it didn't last long and looking on ebay just now that's a "mate down the pub" price. I'm not convinced a Locost really is cheaper or easier than an Austin 7. The key question there is if that idea fires substantially more enthusiasm in you and he.

...or get the other Ron Champion book "Build your own off road buggy" but the issue for most with that is having somewhere to run it once built.

...or mess about with a Ford Ka or whatever else is being given away locally.