The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Non original audible warning instruments
Following Reckless' recommendation I ordered an 'oogah' horn from Monancienne, online. You have to open an account to begin with but this was quite straightforward once you've had a go at translating the instructions, and it arrived 6 days later. Payment through Paypal eased the transaction. After conversion from euros to sterling the cost was about £30 with postage.

Although quite proud of my Rist horn it has only ever emitted a polite 'parp' and is inaudible to anyone when proceeding briskly down the road. Like Reckless, I spray painted the red plastic trumpet and motor body in satin black (now gloss after added some layers of lacquer). I experimented with swapping the cross-headed screws to slotted pan headed screws but decided it was unnecessary - it's clearly a modern addition. If the video I took of it to record the sound attaches successfully, you'll get a flavour of the nature of this beast. If not, you'll have to take my word for it....

Oh, it didn't attach. Apparently it won't accept the type of file I have (stored on my PC).
(11-10-2017, 07:13 PM)Chris KC Wrote: A little late to the table I know but I feel an irresistible urge to brag about my 'vintage' 6V Sonabel horn, acquired off eBay France for 25 euros or so. It looks like a bugle scavenged from the charge of the light brigade with a hefty motor screwed on the back, and projects a demeanour of heft and purposeful gravitas. No clue what it came off (a lorry?) or how long ago, but it's difficult not to enjoy. Here's a pic of a more expensive one which somebody cleaned:

Post-script: In the absence of any background info I'd imagined my Sonabel was perhaps a product of the 1940's~50's. However last night I turned up a Sonabel ad from 1937 listing a 'standard' horn which looks very much like this one. I therefore deduce that it is not only effective but also in period, give or take a bit.
I have a Rist look-alike Klaxette mfd London on my Top Hat. It is 6 volt working on 12, it gives a sonorious, loud PARP which is to me effectual and satisfying.
Not at all ocean- going or offensive.Thoroughly appropriate for the car.
Why is it that the word "horn" immediately triggers  Comparative - Phallic humour ? Shy
(28-11-2017, 11:21 AM)Steve Hainsworth Wrote: I have a Rist look-alike Klaxette mfd London on my Top Hat. It is 6 volt working on 12, it gives a sonorious, loud PARP which is to me effectual and satisfying.
Not at all ocean- going or offensive.Thoroughly appropriate for the car.
Why is it that the word "horn" immediately triggers  Comparative - Phallic humour ? Shy

The Klaxet was original fit on many Austin Sevens I believe - so absolutely appropriate. I have one myself but it sounds more like a coffee grinder - awaiting overhaul at some point.