The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SWB versus LWB box saloons
If I really wanted to push the boat out, I could always arrange to go and see this one. Only thing is, it looks so nice that I wouldn't have the pleasure of bringing it up to scratch! Would anyone happen to know the car? It's been advertised for quite a while now.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1064082
that has a very sensitively restored interior. Wonder who the olympian was?
You might as well go and drive it...

Seriously though, why not think about Ian's car. It is so solid, and complete, and would be "reasonable" even with shipping costs. Then you wouldn't have time to look through dream car ads.
Go and drive that local RM, even if just to make sure you're comfortable with the earlier specification. Like Hedd, I prefer the 3-speed gearbox, but one aspect no-one has so far mentioned is the shorter chassis of the earlier car - it does tend to make the car less stable on undulating road surfaces - the back leaps around rather more than that of a long-wheelbase car.
(12-05-2019, 08:22 AM)JonE Wrote: why not think about Ian's car.

Hi Jon,

Thanks. In fact, I did give Ian's car some thought and even turned up some pictures of it from the archive of the old forum. However, I'm anxious not to take on a car that might become a full blown restoration, as I already have a couple of long term projects on the go. Ideally, I'd like to find one that is either already restored, or at least usable, so that I could use and improve at the same time.
Make no mistake my car is a full blown restoration, it is basically solid and I have full set of new wood made, but thats as far as I have got. Some welding needs to be done, ( I could do that ). There are new Avons with it, they might have aged a little but have never been used, it needs a full mechanical overhaul engine gearbox and back axle, repaint and re trim, registration is live and on hold. As the oldest survivor it deserves to be saved, I am cautious about who I would sell it to as I feel it would be a travesty if it became an Ulster!
Black Art Enthusiast
(12-05-2019, 08:35 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I feel it would be a travesty if it became an Ulster!

Agreed. My own passion is for cars that are original as possible.
(10-05-2019, 02:46 PM)Ian M Wrote: Of course, I did also spot the RM that cropped up on eBay a few days ago, but I'm afraid the cream leather interior somehow seems all wrong to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/143215333099

anyone buy that then? I note they took the reserve off as the engine wasn't working. Looks a good buy though.
Quote:anyone buy that then? I note they took the reserve off as the engine wasn't working. Looks a good buy though.

Despite my keenness to now find a nice example of an SWB car, I'm afraid I somehow wasn't tempted by this one. I would genuinely have been unable to live with the cream leather interior, which would of course be an expensive thing to undo and redo. A tatty original interior, on the other hand, is absolutely fine with me.
Although I owned at one stage a Fabric Short Box I nevr got to restore it as it was stolen amongst a lot of other A7 goodies, so can't comment on the comparison.  But of the many Sevens I've owned, also raced for others, the most enjoyable was a 1934 Box (with sliding roof) which was  loaned to me for the 1992 Eurotour.  But it was fitted with a high comp head and other hot goodies as well as Girling brakes.  In other words all the advantages of my '37 Ruby but considerably less weight.  Others called it the flying black box, with it having no trouble handling the European mountains.  So if you weren't too fussed with originality, this concept would make an ideal Touring car and they still look semi-vintage.   Good Luck with your choice.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
(12-05-2019, 08:22 AM)JonE Wrote: Wonder who the olympian was?

I've since read elsewhere that the car was purchased new in 1931 by a W.E. Fuller of Crawley. He could be our Olympian, although I've not so far been able to find anything online to confirm this. Will do some more digging.