The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AE Tourer and RK Saloon windscreen measurements
Agreed. Use Howard's diagram (thanks!) as datum, as that starts to give an explanation to differences in the radius/variation of the scuttle top. Forget glass. All measurments to edge of frame. Mention approx chassis number rather than registration period, then can map differences.
There was a thread about thi a while ago with pictures of various RK windscreens.
Jim
The rail below the windscreen on my RK is 1-3/4".
Jim
thankyou. I have tried to find the other thread but no joy, if others know...

incidentally, Ian Moorcroft adds: "The bottom of frame to scuttle [on my RF] is the same as Howards drawing: 2” in the centre tapering to 1 3/4” on the ends. Its strange this taper as it's always bugged me that it should have been parallel and a mistake on my part during my rebuild in the 70s."

So some have taper, and some have not...?
My car is 1-3/4 all the way along.
Jim
Sorry for the delay Jon

These should help. Found a tape in Centimetres for the craik also.

AE registered March 1930. 

There is a smidge of taper on the screen posts. Narrower at the top by 3/10 of a CM. I wouldn't like to say if thats how its suposed to be, my car is dog rough. 

[Image: 008_1768.jpg]

[Image: 008_1769.jpg]

[Image: 008_1770.jpg]
I notice a couple of measurements of 35" across and JonE suggested there may be differences.  Jen Dunford's (now with Ruairidh) AK, which I think was a'29,  measured 35-3/16" OD and the frame 33-1/2" ID.  The screen height @ centre 15" OD, 12-3/4" ID.  Are these the differences in model/years you need Jon?  The pillars of this car were 38"OD.  I measured the timber @ 2" in centre, but didn't notice any difference at the ends.  Perhaps R could check please?  Or perhaps there were differences in model/years?  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Bill - its one of those idle queries as a result of wondering about "other" solid screened cars. I wondered if I would be able to detect whether my car was once a RF.. or an RK.

(Do you mean RK rather than AK I presume?)

But of course, its assumed leviathan proportions. But don't stop posting as it might come up with something interesting! i.e. is the body wdith of tourers any differerent from just being planned from the width of steel pillars rather than thick (saloon) timber?

There is an early fabric saloon out there somewhere VG 828 which I'd like to trace.
Yes Jon, apologies for the Senior moment.  Please read RK.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz