The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Recovering four spoke Bluemels
OG 1845 AUTOCAR Test car was a three spoke...v. slightly dished.
Early cars certainly came as standard with the normal three-spoke wheel; I cannot comment on whether the Bluemells wheel became a standard feature later ... but I somehow doubt it.
Erich, All the original four spoke Bluemels Brooklands wheels I've seen have been this variegated light brown colour like the one on my '32 special.

[Image: 34297937311_55da0f64a8_z.jpg]

I have seen the modern reproductions in black or ivory. Are you sure yours hasn't been repainted with two pack (2K) paint or similar -I've done this to a (non A7) steering wheel in the past and the finish has stood up well for over 12 years/ some 1000s of miles now.
Stuart, 
  here's the type Erich is talking about. These were fitted to the works cars and some private entrants. They are celluloid covered and were available in black, ivory, red and green.

Attached Files
.jpg   2019-05-05_03-01-49.jpg (Size: 149.31 KB / Downloads: 212)
Stuart mine's somewhat like yours, quite definitely not a repro and is black.
(05-05-2019, 02:27 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Erich, All the original four spoke Bluemels Brooklands wheels I've seen have been this variegated light brown colour like the one on my '32 special.

Those grey/brown mottled wheels were standard fitting on MGs.

.jpg   2019-05-05_07-52-06.jpg (Size: 68 KB / Downloads: 156)   Here you go Chris  
    the type fitted is on the left with a reeded finish
Quote "Those grey/brown mottled wheels were standard fitting on MGs."

And we should add were never fitted to Austin's, the type Robert pictured were, the only multi wire sprung spoke wheel fitted was the Frank Ashby which is very similar to the mottled Brookland's
Black Art Enthusiast
Looking at the advert in Roberts photo, was there a change to the steering wheel hub in 1935?
(05-05-2019, 03:14 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Stuart, 
  here's the type Erich is talking about. These were fitted to the works cars and some private entrants. They are celluloid covered and were available in black, ivory, red and green.

Thanks for that Robert, I have one that looks identical to that sitting in the loft here -is there a trademark/ makers mark on it anywhere? I don't remember seeing anything on the one I have, certainly not anything like the "Brooklands" logo that the wheel on my special has on the spokes - but then it has been up there a long time now.