The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They are still out there!
The auctioneer started the bidding with a commission bid of £6000, quickly followed by other interested bidders up to about £8000 when two bidders in the room eventually took it to £9500.  Add on the dreaded buyer's premium of 18%, plus VAT on the premium (i.e. a total add-on of 21.6%) means that the buyer paid £11552.
Thanks Mick. Rather thought it would get to that sort of level.
(11-05-2019, 04:45 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Rather thought it would get to that sort of level.

Indeed. Price-wise, it seems that oily rag is the new fully restored!
It's difficult to say what merits the car had to attain that sort of price - for adding £8000 (?) for a largely DIY rebuild to fully functional and roadworthy condition and that's a considerable expenditure for which one could buy - at recently-advertised prices - from a number of very fine, professionally-restored examples. Still, the appeal was obviously there, and the two bidders happy to bid it up. You pays ya' money - and takes ya' choice.
I think at long last people are realising that originality can never be replaced and the woefully over restored show dog is starting to have had its day. I would not like to comment on how original this particular Chummy is, I feel from the pictures that it was probably an older restoration, however it maybe still had enough to warrant the attention two bidders decided to give it. Sometimes people want a car where they do not have to undo previous restoration attempts and are willing to pay for that privilege, times change and each to their own.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi IAN,

I attended, I don't think it was all down to an oily rag over polish.

The winning bidder stood 12 foot to my side, he looked ok at £7.5k but at £8.5k and £9.5k his face changed knowing he was over its value.

But do you loose it for a bid? £500 at a time, or should I say just over £600 inc fees. He didn't.

I think a lot of the interest was his friends felt it was original paint, it wasn't. And that it was a local car.

The main thing with this perchase is that the new owner looks around or under 40 year old. And has made a step into the seven world.

You all keep saying there are not enough young people coming into the hobby.

So welcome him in.

Tony.
"I think a lot of the interest was his friends felt it was original paint, it wasn't."
Which leads one to wonder, if a car like that was extracted from a 92-year-old hiding place in moth-eaten but otherwise absolutely original order (and complete of course with the now compulsory "auction dust"), just what it might make? 30K, anyone?
Yes Tony if a totally original and unadulterated car were discovered I would think it would be so unique the sky would be the limit as far as price were concerned, the more difficult question is how you would then conserve such a car. They are in reality so few and far between these days that it is not a question many of us will actually need to deal with.
Black Art Enthusiast
The auctioneer published photos of the car in the 1970s when it was then a clearly newly-restored and very shiny example; this car was definitely not an oil-rag original.