The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas ignition distributors, coils, fault finding.
I found an excellent 36 Page article on the above on mg-cars.org.uk. Sorry haven't done link. It covers all coils and distributors up to the 60's approx. Including DK but not DJ. It's entitled " Overseas Correspondence Course, Section 3 Coil Ignition." It shows among many other things the 3 different cam profiles fitted in dizzies up to that time and the reason for the changes of same over the years.
Happy reading!
Dave.
Thanks Dave.
Lots of us will find that a very good reference, it is clearly written and well illustrated.

Definitely recommended.

Nick Turley
This is the link:

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/pdf/lucascourse3.pdf
The auto transformer effect mentioned in this article is often quoted. My brain is old and tired but can anyone redraw for negative earth whilst still retaining an auto tansformwe effect? i presume voltage is developed relative to earth or the battery which is effectively earth.

A point often not mentioned is the folly of drawing long sparks, or removing the lead from the coil. Overloads magneto , coil rotor etc insulation and much else. I can recall my father drawing  long sprks from our Seven to entertain me at age 5, and for years on older cars I set igniton by removing the cap and listening for the gap break.