The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
practical differences 3 brg c/case to rear facing starter
Interesting stuff here.

For what it is worth I ran my car 1931 ex RM with a 3 bearing crankcase and 3 speed gearbox., all be it converted to 2 bearing, for a couple of years.

I never knew about these differences, and the car ran fine!
I rather suspect mine was just bunged in too Dave!
None of the bits you need to do are difficult to do. But they might be bits you dont want to do. You have to mod the exhaust for instance as the engine is nearer the front. Also a longer rod between the throttle shaft and the carb. and perhaps from the steering column to the dizzy.
Something strange here.

I'm pretty sure that my 3 bearing crankcase fitted onto my unaltered RM short chassis No.140xxx without mods, and I didn't have to alter exhaust, or contol rods, etc.! It fitted onto the existing bolt holes too.

I'll try to have a look today.
Hedd,
I fitted a 4 speed box/3 speed c/case in swb chassis by replacing the offending hex head screw with a csk one. I think it is on the reverse gear cluster flange (can’t remember at the mo). Didn’t need to move the engine / chassis mounting holes forward. Also fitted direct drive 1930 rear facing starter motor and housing by modifying the 4speed gearcase lid. Much faffing about but then didn’t need to use that awful bacon slcer device.
Cheers,
Dave.
Mod to 4spd box to clear c/member.
                                                           Terry.