The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust tape wrap
I wondered whether anyone tapes all the way up past the manifold flange to the edge of the block? I realise this is a bit inconvenient for checking for leaks, but thought worth asking what is best practice...
It makes for RUST on steel manifolds, you would think the heat would keep things dry & clean under the wrap, but the opposite is the reality

Modern "Jet -Hot" coatings etc are a better solution and they come in a variety of colours so you can re-create what a manifold would have looked like when new. There's a light steel-grey which is ideal as a 'new metal' look.

Aye
Greig
Depends on one's reasons I think Jon. I bind my Ulster rep's tailpipe in the vicinity of the passenger 'door' to protect said passengers from 1st degree burns. I don't let my passengers poke about under my bonnet. Binding the manifold may help to prevent fuel vaporisation by keeping down heat transfer to the engine bay? I'm not sure. I had the same experience as Greig in that when I unbound my tailpipe I found it rotten underneath the (asbestos) binding, still lasted 30-odd years mind.
Thanks. Yes, was thinking of anti-fuel vapourisation under bonnet. OK, so I forget the manifold bit, but is the downpipe worth doing for that purpose.. or is just something people do because others have done it before?
Would I be better with an alloy shield under carb somehow?
Jon, I too found holes the size of golf balls in the engine pipe when unwrapped.  We had also suffered from fuel vaporization at stoplights. In addition my wife complained you could fry an egg on the passenger floor.
We found relief from cooking her legs by arranging the engine pipe to go under the front crossmember thus keeping the muffler further away. The vaporization was cured by having the radiator cleaned, it lowered the running temp.
If you are going to use exhaust wrap make sure you have cured all the oil leaks.
Fibre glass tape plus hot oil makes a great wick when it gets hot enough to combust.
thanks all - I think I'm going to adopt the easy route and not use it until I get a problem. And then maybe make an alloy shield first...