The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King pin reamer use
Sorry if I have given you a bum steer Jack - I have always used a plain reamer for Girling stub axles but I hear what Tony is saying and his advice is solid.

I have several of his special Austin reamers and they are most excellent.

Happy reaming.

I do hope you get your problems sorted soon Tony, let me know the outcome.
Thanks R,

I started of nearly 30 years ago, with just a standard reamer on this job.

And it took a lot of time to get the reamer straight by eye. Even when I got used to it. I probably still had ro replace every other bush.

I'll email you how far I am with the problem.

The biggest problem with being let down, is anyone who can do the work I need doing. Is now FULLY FULLY booked for work needed through the summer.

Never mind,

Back to the shed, to try and bodge it as best I can myself.

Tony.
You have my sympathy, I do understand!

Speak later.
Thank you Tony, the advice is I am sure sound, as is the reamer, which I shall enjoy using being very glad to have purchased in anticipation of this day, this event. The further description in your email has added a level of understanding for which I am grateful.
R listen to your uncle Tony when he tells you, cos he tells it right, innit!
My thanks again to all concerned I am looking forward to a reaming-good weekend
[Image: s-l400.jpg]
LINK
So who was the lucky person that got this set on ebay for £50 plus post???  Anybody on here?

I presume there was a similar special reamer for the 5/8" Big Seven king pins?  Does anyone have one they would sell....I will most likely be needing one soon.

Dennis
A couple of points:
The kingpin is slightly under .5" and a tight fit in axle. So a fixed .5" reamer is not suitable (and when new are usually slightly oversize)
As with all cutting tools, saws, drills, files, lathe tools the reamer must be kept cutting. Any rubbibng action burnishes the cutting edge. One reason for not reversing.
(For those interested, the cut occurs in the form of a crack ahead of the tool, so when cutting wear is not great
Old kpins can be converted to D bits although too small. With any process using abrasive care necesary not to force it into the surface.)