The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pandora’s Box
IMy car has this type of universal. Despite about 130,000 miles not worn. It is surprising how durable when greased. 
I was aware of the construction but no cause to dismantle.
I take it the bushes are hardened or case hardened. And that supposed to be a tight fit in the outer part.
Amateur manufacture of close fitting hard parts is not easy. Do bronze bushes suffice?
My guess Bob would be the pins are hardened and the bushes something a little softer
We are thinking Phosphor bronze bushes. Probably not last as long as the original steel assembly but long enough to make them worthwhile. 
Do the splines need to be free moving , that is take up any length variation . The present arrangement seems very tight.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
My RP has the same type early Hardy Spicer at the rear of the propshaft and, yes, the splines should be free to take up any variation in length. There is a grease nipple at the front of the joint to grease the splines. According to my handbook, the joint itself should be lubricated with SAE 140, although how it is supposed to stay there is a mystery. Woodrow recommends oiling the joint with SAE 140 on assembly and then filling it between 1/4 and 1/3rd full of grease through the big hole in the back before refitting it to the axle flange. I use CV joint grease for mine.
If making new bushes (or for that matter grinding the pins) I would suggest going to some lengths to equalise them in mass & thus keep the shaft in balance. Phosphor bronze sounds like a good place to start. I imagine it would do a good deal of vibrating before suffering a failure. What were the originals? Cast iron perhaps?
        This was the CV joint I had to re-furbish for a Michel Irat car. The steel 'crusifix' was badly worn and had to be trued up before new bearings were made.
        Job now complete, I would like to thank those who had an input to this repair. Phosphor bronze bushes were turned up by friend Chris after dressing the slight ovality of the pins. Well done, thanks again.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.