The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AG hood & frame
Lovely job Douglas!    regards  Russell
Photo 
            My early AH Tourer (AH444) has two holes in the hood frame about 8" and 13" back from the front ash cross piece.  On the inside of the forward hole there is a loosely riveted (pivoting) leather strap fitted with two Lift The Dot fasteners (see photo of an  original detached strap).  The rearward hole is for a LTD nipple, again facing inwards.  With the hood up, the strap is kept from flapping about by being secured to this nipple using the LTD fastener nearest the rivet.  
The hood rests have a thick rubber cushion held in place by a special LTD nipple with a 5/8" long 3/16" BSF thread, which screws directly into a 1/8" thick shaped retaining plate. (photo shows the plate with a similar nipple, but with the threaded portion being too short).  
When the hood is folded, the leather strap is simply wrapped over the folded frame and fastened by means of the LTD fastener furthest from the rivet, directly to the nipple on the hood rest, thus leaving the nipple on the hood frame unused.
I have never seen an original hood bag.  It would seem likely that it would be at least partially secured by means of a LTD fastener pressed onto the now spare nipple attached to the hood frame.  I would be surprised if any straps provided for this job were separate and detached from the bag itself.  I would imagine that they would be sewn in - even cheap tool wraps were made this way.
Now I understand a bit better! My frame has the pivot rivet (with the remains of the leather like a washer!) In my "stuff" I found a LTD with an extended thread....all I need Is another one & to make up rubber blocks! My AD has leather straps in a simple rest bracket.
Interesting that these straps are at the rear, by the rest. If there is a strap closer to the hood pivot it would clamp well.
Anyhow I have got the hood fitted. Straps pinned in, American made rear seat pinned in & the cockpit beading screwed down as well as the press stud hood fixings in place on the newly painted body! No slips nor scratches! The only damage was to a middle finger that got in the way of the hammer!
The hood fits the front pins & the latches latch! I wonder if the sidescreens will fit!
Thanks for the advice folks.
David
There are LTD pins available on Fleabay with an M5x15mm long thread if that is any help!
Tony Betts has the blocks listed, but appears to be out of stock!
The strap is interesting! I wonder if it fitted over the fixed stud as a button fits onto a buttonhole? ie the buttonhole in the strap might have had a round hole to fit the stem of the stud & a short longitudinal slit from that hole towards the LTD receptacle to allow the strap to fit over the stud "cap". The stud is firmly riveted to my hood frame, so it ain't gonna move! That said I cannot see any sign of such a slit in that strap!
A bit of a challenge!
David