The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mk1 Ruby roof
I am assisting a club member with the restoration of a Mk1 Ruby, his car has bumpers and a steel panel fitted where one would find a sliding sun roof on the deluxe models. So my question is would the steel panel be a factory fitment or a later modification as suspected, the panel appears to have been professional produced so may have been a std fitment on export versions. I believe that the export fixed head had a steel roof panel so this car may not be a deluxe and therefore the bumpers could be the later fitment, if it should have a sunroof has anyone got drawings that would assist in reproducing a Pytchley sliding roof?
Black Art Enthusiast
In the 1970s I worked at Wellington Airport (NZ) near a old established panel beaters and had a conversation with the owner about his huge cast iron wheeling machine. He offered it to me for $500 which, regretfully, I declined for financial reasons. The owner said that the business had routinely replaced fabric roofs with metal ones after the war. The compound curve of the metal roof panel being shaped with the wheeling machine - a skilled job I would imagine. I have 3 wrecked Ruby bodies with metal roofs, but they are all aluminium. I would bet they are all replacements for rotted fabric roofs back in the days of strict import controls in NZ when these cars were valued everyday transport.
I am less certain about bumpers, but my impression is that all the Rubies I saw in ChCh had them along with D taillights, four-bladed fans and air-cleaners.
I would think Bob would have some idea.

P.S. Could you share some more details of the Ruby radiator rebuild?
Earlier this summer I went to look at a Mk2 Ruby that was for sale; it had been imported from New Zealand and displayed the same features: bumpers and leather seats associated with a De Luxe model, but with a solid metal roof. I didn't investigate too closely, but my impression was that the roof panel was steel, and displayed all the hallmarks of having been fitted from new - I was convinced the rooflining was the original, and it showed no signs of having been modified to cover up a missing sun roof, nor did it have a smoker's hatch.
Thanks for the replies, and yes Mike I do wonder if the NZ cars had some differing feature's to the home market.
I am confused Ritchie by your question about the Ruby radiator rebuild, I have recently posted pictures of a new core for my Nippy is that what you refer to??
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,
Mine had a plate on the roof that had been added at a later date.
Under it was still the remains of the original roof. Mine was framed as a standard. With smokers hatch but had bumpers etc. I think it's quite possible that the export standard could have come with bumpers.
Had the remains of another English car from the 30s that was a mixture of the advertised deluxe and standard models.

Bryan
Yes Ian, that's the one.
I wondered if the core was entirely new or if the old core was repaired.
I was interested in your comment on the cost also.
Its a new Honeycomb core, they are available to suit any seven and reasonably priced when compared to some quotes. Call me if you want further details 09 442 1261
Black Art Enthusiast