The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven Special Seats.
(11-04-2019, 10:49 PM)Paul Nott Wrote: Hi All
More pictures as requested.
Purchased the car last September and now in the stages of recommissioning, manage to trace history back to the 80's found in Southampton, owner at that time was a Mr Laska.
Originally registered in London late 1927.
If anyone recognises the car and has any information on its history it would be most welcome, its quite a looker, the rebody is MG like.
Suspect the original car may of been a GE Cup?
I plan to compete in driving tests/auto solo's VSCC, was hoping to be at Silverstone this weekend but works have taken longer than expected.
The car has been totally rewired, new brakes, shoes, cables, cast iron drums, new wheel studs etc etc the list is long !  
In the process of replacing all oils and water hoses plus Zenith carb needs work.
Plan to keep it as original as possible, have retained 6v's, low compression head and recently fitted a pair of Lucas headlamps.
Generally the interior was in good condition, however the seats let the car down, hence the original post.

Duncan, love your seats will give them and your kind offer some thought.  

This is my first venture into vintage cars and find the forum invaluable.

Many thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

Nice car— a real special. By the way, re the former owner Mr Laska I just thought if his first name was Alan it would be cool.
Hi JonE
Yes I did share photos last year after purchase, in the hope someone would recognise it and enlighten me with some history. 
unfortunately nobody did but the car received some nice comments.
The Great and the Good shared their thoughts and suggested it may have some Gordon England DNA.
It would be nice if it did have Gordon England pedigree but I just love the body style and small detail like the swage line on the running  boards, the quality of the wooden dash and the general  patina.

Many thanks to All
Paul
(12-04-2019, 02:48 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 10:49 PM)Paul Nott Wrote: Hi All
More pictures as requested.
Purchased the car last September and now in the stages of recommissioning, manage to trace history back to the 80's found in Southampton, owner at that time was a Mr Laska.
Originally registered in London late 1927.
If anyone recognises the car and has any information on its history it would be most welcome, its quite a looker, the rebody is MG like.
Suspect the original car may of been a GE Cup?
I plan to compete in driving tests/auto solo's VSCC, was hoping to be at Silverstone this weekend but works have taken longer than expected.
The car has been totally rewired, new brakes, shoes, cables, cast iron drums, new wheel studs etc etc the list is long !  
In the process of replacing all oils and water hoses plus Zenith carb needs work.
Plan to keep it as original as possible, have retained 6v's, low compression head and recently fitted a pair of Lucas headlamps.
Generally the interior was in good condition, however the seats let the car down, hence the original post.

Duncan, love your seats will give them and your kind offer some thought.  

This is my first venture into vintage cars and find the forum invaluable.

Many thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

Nice car— a real special. By the way, re the former owner Mr Laska I just thought if his first name was Alan it would be cool.

Charles

I saw what you did there. However, Mr Laska sounds like a foreign gentleman to me, possibly eastern European. I suspect his first name may have been Baykta.
Paul, that really is a lovely looking special. It’ll be good to see more photos of it at some stage.
I’m interested to see what you end up doing regarding your seats.
Like you, my recent acquisition is my first foray into vintage cars...I cut my teeth on an MGB and more recently Morgans. I’m making some slight changes to my Ulster rep but the major thing is to improve the seating. The squabs are too high and I’m not keen on the single flat rear back. I’ve seen Ulster’s with a much better profiled seat back effectively creating two seat backs.
I am interested in Duncan’s seats though....I think I might need to have a chat with him!
Hi,    At a Swap Meet (at Karapiro, New Zealand) this year I was looking at a new one but didn't really need it. How ever it was new cast and with motorcycle stuff. The seller said it was A7 but used for, if I recall correctly, Harley Davidsons.  Have a look in the Motorcycle mags perhaps.  Bruce Young.
Hi Jays
Totally agree, the aluminium seats do look cool, can't quite make my mind up but they might be just too cool for my Seven.
Sounds like you have the same problem as me, the seat base is just too high and you have the feeling of almost sitting outside of the car.
It's a difficult decision to make as good seating in a special is so visible and can effect the whole look of the car. I think it takes on more importance than a covered car. My initial question of which is more in keeping with the period and type of car, bench or single remains unanswered.
Paul
There is nothing to stop you fitting an upholstered (on un-upholstered)  sleeve over the seatback...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul as your beautiful little special is rather MG in appearance, why don't you go the same route as the MG T Types with one double backrest and individual seat squabs. You can tailor the foam on the double backrest to form two individual backrest shapes in the seat back. Foam shapes quite nicely with a small angle grinder and a flap wheel.... be warned that it's messy, so do it in the neighbours yard and wear eye protection & a mask.

Aye
Greig

Alternately this is the interior of the special that has just sold on Bat for $50K..... but it is very gorgeous !!

Professionally trimmed interiors can really make a car stand out

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   1935_austin_seven_sports_special.jpg (Size: 192.25 KB / Downloads: 189)
Hi Duncan

Do you plan to play the Dixie Chicks on your car radio in the “Austin Dixi” ??

Happy memories of your workshop and your
expert panel making lessons!

“You were the wind beneath my wings”
as they say in another song.

You should have a reunion meeting
With the attendees and their finished
coach unit cars? Mark, Tony, Malcolm, myself etc

Regards

Bill G

My Morris 8 2-Seater had the MG T type
Seat arrangement, adjustable rake bench seat back
But separate adjustable sliding squabs.

Specials with fixed seats can be a problem
when you come to sell one.

For a speedy looking machine like yours
Bucket seats would be normal, but if you opt
for a bench back it would be best to have some
shape to give some lateral location, plus a bit
warmer to stop drafts.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
What marvellous sets! Excellent. Makes you want to polish them all of the time!

Arthur

Seats of course!