The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carburettor problems.
Thanks Ruairidh, excellent explanation it now it becomes clear, I'll have to go and check my 26va carbs and establish what I have and if they are matched.
Are both types of carb.OK to run on a 7? and are they early and late designs?
They do both work.
(12-04-2019, 09:18 AM)JonE Wrote: Are the two bodies both '7' matched ones, Ruairidh, that just don't behave well when mixed, or is one of these of Davids an '8' carb with larger choke?

Jon,

Both my carb bodies have '7' stamped in the carb to manifold flange. As Ruairidh pointed out, they are both different patterns and it is clear now that i had the wrong float bowl for the carb.

Now that the carburettor is now sorted, I am going to do another fuel consumption check. If I get  into the late thirties around here I shall be happy.

Thank you Bob for the comments you make in this regard. And yes, the car has been clocked at 51.6 mph using one of those clever GPS devices that cyclist use.
It is not difficult to follow the drillings. Can enyone explain the difference? I have a 10hp 26VE with the ribbed float chamber but cannot spot any significant difference. (the corres tbody differs from both diags)

With these carbs the bowl must seat against the body as any air leak at the joint adds to that from the adjuster screw. Often old carbs have bubbled zinc etc
(12-04-2019, 06:46 PM)DaveT Wrote: Thanks Ruairidh, excellent explanation it now it becomes clear, I'll have to go and check my 26va carbs and establish what I have and if they are matched.
Are both types of carb.OK to run on a 7? and are they early and late designs?

Ruairidh. Thanks for your erudition. The tickover problem has bugged me from day one, and has been on the bucket list of things to be done since I first bought the car in October.

All my vehicles have to work for their keep and I am trying to get the Seven sufficiently reliable to be able to use it as my 'daily' for a fortnight before June so that i can have the Polo off the road for some overdue TLC before MOT.

The other vehicle in the fleet is a Series III Landrover The Landy is a wonderful machine, but it is viciously thirsty - 25 mpg of diesel - and you need a helmet with horns on the drive it every day.

The last things that are immediately pressing with the Seven are;-

1. The fan pulley, the parts for which arrived this morning  so will be sorted over this weekend, and
2. The windscreen seals. The seals have also arrived  so, I shall arrange to have these fitted so no more wet knees if the weather turns inclement.

The gearbox is a bit noisy, but the gearchange is sweet enough, so I think that this can be safely left until I can send it off to Andy Bird for overhaul.

So we are getting there by degrees ( as, so my Mother told me,) lawyers get to heaven.

One again, Thanks for your help!
With the floorpanel removed many gearboxes on other makes are surprisingly noisy.
I can't find any refs anywhere to R1634 26VA variants despite avid searching!
Can anyone say what it was designed to fit?
I suspect that the R1634 was the serial number of the carburettor. Both my bodies have '7' stamped on the flange that bolts to the manifold, so it was clearly made for an Austin 7. Given that my car has one or two Ruby bits (the dynamo is a later C35M instrument for example), I suspect that the R series carb is a later version and the C series may probably be correct for my car.

Perhaps Ruairidh may be able to shed some light on the subject?
No light from this quarter - sorry.