The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military buff logbook on ebay
Just doing the usual look on eBay and found this logbook

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-747cc-...SwL35cb9Si

It seems to be 747 cc and marked ex government on the logbook so perhaps a military car, the engine number ex seems to have an A prefix rather than the usual M. Is this indeed a military logbook. No connection with the seller just an interesting snippet of Austin history I thought, I'd be interested to know more knowledgeable people's views?
Ex Government need not necessarily mean ex Military. If it was ex Military it's a bit odd that the colour starts as Black; I suppose it could be ex ARP, or some other civil service - it's a shame he's covered up the registration letters - Military vehicles were issued with their own letter sequences: MT, AMP, BMM, DMD, DMF and DMV for example.
first registered 1949....
This log book is for an Austin 8. All numbers i.e chassis body indicate its an Austin 8 which where used as Government cars being military or civilian use during the second WII.
Sold and first registered in 1949 in local authority.

I see that the logbook indicate being a 747cc instead of 898cc.
(08-04-2019, 09:56 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Military vehicles were issued with their own letter sequences: MT, AMP, BMM, DMD, DMF and DMV for example.

Military Vehicle Registrations 1921 to 1949.

All military vehicles were registered using the Middlesex codes and displayed a civilian AND military registration. (It is unusual to find the original civilian registration as most of the Middlesex codes were re-issued after 1949, when the new military numbering system was introduced. Hence, why the photos show the age-related Scottish or Welsh codes.)

http://nice-reg.co.uk/number-plates/numb...lates.html

Middlesex 2 letter codes to 1965:-

MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MK, ML, MM, MP, MT, MU, MV, MX, MY 

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

3 letter codes were "A" prefix etc. to the above.
    Hi,
 my 1935 APD Miliatry Tourer still has its original issue reg number.
Many thanks for everyone's thoughts, interesting to know what it actually is and a nice snippet of history.
What! I don't think so. not for £200.
I am always suspicious of logbooks being sold on ebay some of them are fuellng fraudulent insurance claims.
Old Cooper S V5 sold for stupid money the other day,  obviously not going to end up in a frame on the wall.
This is the sort of thing that has in part resulted in the changes at DVLC
I couldn't agree more  but the honest amongst us hopefully appreciate thier historical value. I'd hope the DVLA keep a record of all stray logbooks and keep a very close eye on thier re appearance, even more so with v5s with no car!!