The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin new ruby chassis
Powdercoating is fine until it cracks and water gets behind it. The flexing of a chassis may well crack it.
I also have found Bonda rust primer paint works well - no corrosion after twenty years, even when nothing else was added on top.

Colin
Everyone has their favourite paint, on top of a thorough cleaning and de-rusting followed by rust preventative primer and then a matt black etch primer, I've used brushable black enamel for years, the Trade call it ADE, (air drying enamel). Sticks well and has the advantage of being easy to touch up. It's stuck to coil springs on my other cars for years so will take a good degree of flexing. Thin it with mineral turpentine - slow drying and gives a fantastic gloss. Don't use any other thinner.

Over the years I've painted chassis in twin pack black as well as Durathane K (2K), but ADE doesn't require masks and is easily brushed and being thixotropic will settle to a smooth surface

Aye
Greig
For what it’s worth I use red oxide followed by a dark grey undercoat and now Universal Black which I get in Homebase . It’s a softer finish and takes stone chips well . Harder paints I find tend to crack when hit by flying stones. 30 years on no problem with the car that I used Dulux exterior paint on , on a previous car
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I use lechler epoxy 2 pack primer. When you order you can tint to what colour you want, so for example here in black https://www.paints4u.com/pdffiles/29107.pdf. Make sure you ask them to tint it !
Sebring, primer is porous and needs to be overcoated with something to seal it, if only clearcoat
Thanks for your for your help when to local trade paint supplier and asked what they suggested and came away with rustoĺeum satin black chassis paint and primer to go with it ? It drys touch dry in about 20 mins but takes 24hrs to harden ! Have painted test patch and brush marks slowly go have painted chassis in primer and will.paint in the satin tomorrow.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Zetamagneto. That’s the advantage of modern epoxy primers, they are not porous like old etch primers, modern body repair now uses those and you can even use them before filler. However I always overcoat with chassis black or 2 pack