The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smelly fumes inside car
(24-09-2017, 11:37 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(24-09-2017, 12:55 PM)Tattybogle Wrote: Tomorrow I shall take the car for a 50 mile run and hope my troubles have gone away.
Interestingly, some other cars with 3rd brush dynamos have a 'dynamo off' setting ( e.g. Riley 9) for just this reason, but relied on the driver to understand when to use it - or not.
As an aside, it must be a wee bit irritating to be called a Junior Member on the new forum when you have been posting on the old one for as long as I can remember!

The Lucas  SM3 switchboard only has a simple on  off switch for the dynamo, relying on the driver to control the battery charge.
The later Lucas  SM 5 has a summer and winter charge position, still requiring driver selection but a little more control.

Re the annoying Junior Member -  this can be changed - but I have forgotten how :-(

Cheers, Tony.
Gentlemen, to change 'Junior Member' to your choice:- log in ->user CP [control panel] -> your profile ->Edit Profile -> Custom user title.
Regards A G W
Voltages off charge are all close and complicated by the “surface charge” effect. Voltage on charge is more meaningful. Anything routinely much above about 7.2 volts whilst on summer charge indicates a full or near charge (conventional full Maintenance battery). Even 3 amps into a fully charged battery will produce significant gas and spray , although I am surprised that this evident outside the battery with the plugs in place. If simply removing the fuse is awkward presumably extending to a remote switch can be contrived. If a digital meter is erratic with all inside the cabin try a resistor of a thousand ohms or so across it and/or a car capacitor/condenser or somesuch. if it is intact, correct,  and working a pity to fiddle with the summer resistor.
Much of the attraction of Sevens is the simplicity; fancy electrics potentially introduce more obscure problems, and the non standard can puzzle. No Seven had a voltage regulator. Seems that with LEDs an alternator would be a extravagant and superfluous.

As for Forum contributor title, I can think of a comical few, but the arch sarcastic and dismissive contributors would misinterpret, so will stick with the innocuous. And Tatty, I am actually a recent contributor.