The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6V strobe timing
Hi All

Thanks for the help.  I've ordered one of the ones Chris has recommended.

Timing by ear may come as I get to know the engine better BUT with two hearing aids and being tone deaf since birth I rather think its a bit beyond my capabilities!

Just how do you hit your hear on a Seven bonnet? Unless you are very shortsighted (also like me Sad)

Howard
If your car is still blessed with manual advance all is much simplified. Can experiment with the lever and, esp if others to drive, then set the max corres to minimum advance before power fell off. Advance is hard on the crank and must be kept to minimum necessary. Engine noise is not a good guide to actual power. For stock non sport engine driven in original way, many consider 1.5 inch max advance on flywheel sufficient, or even less. Most running is done with full advance or just 1/4 inch or so less on the lever.
With auto advance strobes introduce more complexities as the idle advance usually exceeds the static. The max advance (assuming at modest revs) is more important.
For cars retrofitted the manual linkage can be retained and very useful for on road experiment.