The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identifying Austin Sevens by their Factory Initials
http://archive.a7ca.org/about-the-archiv...our-seven/

I printed out this updated issue last year to store with the original, but unfortunately it didn't print properly as a booklet- probably me !

Tony.
Hi Mike.  Very helpful guide and has been very useful to me.  One comment I would make if it is possible it would be good to have a photo/section for all initial types and not have them merged together e.g. the D/AD and P/PA/PB/PC/PF/PL.

Thanks. Douglas
I thought ONOmoles was what went through the mind when mounds of freshly turned earth appeared in the middle of the lawn.
(03-04-2019, 08:39 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Hi Mike.  Very helpful guide and has been very useful to me.  One comment I would make if it is possible it would be good to have a photo/section for all initial types and not have them merged together e.g. the D/AD and P/PA/PB/PC/PF/PL.

Thanks. Douglas

Yes,Douglas, we hope to improve the photo selection. The D/AD is the same body, just Austin revised their method of annotation. The P/PA/PB/PC/PF/PL is still a puzzle to me and needs further research - I can only identify PA, PB, and PC versions; Austin had already started the double letter code by the introduction of the boat-tail, so I suspect the P doesn't exist unless it refers to the much earlier pointed tail Sports of 1924, and as for the PF and PL, they just don't make sense at all.

.jpg   RP scuttle.JPG (Size: 14.48 KB / Downloads: 132)     With the last month's production of RN saloons having 4 speed gearbox, D type rear axle, rear fuel tank, separate instrument panel in front of the driver they can be confused with the RP saloon. The easy way to identify them is by the scuttle waist moulding.
My 1929 fabric saloon was fitted with a new floor pan some 15 years ago. As a result it has lost the original number on the transmission tunnel. I would like to reinstate this but don't know what the model designation would be. It would either be RK or RF. I suspect the former.
Does anyone know?
Jim
Jim - your car is technically a RF but the standing hypothesis is that RK and RF did not have prefixes to the stamp. Ditto AE.

Mike actually posted something about a possible RK with a prefix stamp on 'ere a while back, but we need photo evidence for any AE or RK or RF with one.

Just wondering how will you stamp it - did you note the number before it was destroyed? Otherwise, there is no other information to go on unless its recorded somewhere else earlier..?
RK saloons number is stamped on the door hinges. I also have the Heritage dating certificate.
Jim
(04-04-2019, 12:05 PM)AustinWood Wrote: My 1929 fabric saloon was fitted with a new floor pan some 15 years ago. As a result it has lost the original number on the transmission tunnel. I would like to reinstate this but don't know what the model designation would be. It would either be RK or RF. I suspect the former.
Does anyone know?

Hi Jim

I think the floor pan on my 1930 RK is original.  Only the car number is stamped on the pan infront and between the seats.

Hope this helps?

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have owned two 1929 'RK's and one 1930 'RK', and also a 1929 'B' coupe - they all had the Car Number, not the body number, stamped on the tunnel. I never thought to examine things like door hinges ...