The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Pins
Has anyone ever drilled the bottom of the king pin and fitted a grease nipple so as grease the bottom bush, when greasing the kingpin the grease takes the easy way out and I don't think any is getting to the bottom bush ?

Can anyone tell me if the petrol pumps M & T are the same or what is the difference, will they both be OK to use on my 1938 Ruby ARR   

Thanks for all replies 
Graham in Sheffield
I have a 29 chummy car to which  this has been done. The grease nipple is tiny, possibly the tiny tip of a conventional nipple.  
No idea on the petrol pumps, sorry
I feel sure others have done it, the main counter-argument I guess would be that the whole axle is fairly puny to start with and I wouldn't want to weaken anything further.

Some people (not me) use axle oil instead of grease as it flows better.

I simply waver between perseverance and neglect.
Hi

You may be able to do this on a Ruby but on early cars the brake cam and bush is in the way.  When greasing make sure the front axle is jacked up and move the wheels from side to side.  I've found this helped the last time I did my Ruby special.

Howard
M doesn't have the primng pump, and the inlet and outlet are in different places.

T type for preference, because of the pump lever.

Simon
I did see once on an early car ,a 5/16 BSF pipe silver soldered through the brass cap on the stub axel . On the top of the pipe a small  grease nipple was attached. this enabled the top bush to be greased in the normal  way and the bottom bush greased through the hollow centre of the king pin  via the 5/16 BSF tapped hole in the top. This was done I think to be able to get more pressure to the bottom bush.
Hi Simon

The T type found on many cars and many Sevens have acquired the wrong lever. Amongst other problems, risk off slipping off the cam.
An greaser extension is available that screws into the thread on top of the king pin so that the bottom bush can be greased. This only works for cars with Austin brakes that have the screw in cap over the king pin.
Jim
"Can anyone tell me if the petrol pumps M & T are the same or what is the difference, will they both be OK to use on my 1938 Ruby ARR "

Seven Workshops do a replacement pump.