The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specials and V5c Titles
Good morning.

I have just read a post on the Austin Seven Facebook page to the effect that under the new DVLA rules, you can build a special if the V5c says "tourer", but not if it says "saloon".

Can anyone clarify this at all? As the shell on my Ruby is so badly decayed, I plan to convert it to what is, in essence, a two seat Opal with a fold-down roof which is permanently attached to the car at the hinges. I shall be using as much of the original shell as I can salvage. The logbook currently says "saloon", but with no mention of the number of seats.

I suppose my question is what are Opals and the like called on their logbooks: tourers, saloons, or something else altogether?

Regards,

Jamie.
Try Coupe? Or Two seater?

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Unless the rules have changed and I don't think they have, it is permissible to re-body (any type, two or four seater etc) under the DVLA Radically Modified rules providing it qualifies with the mandatory 8 points; 5 of which are for a compulsory non-modified chassis. This describes the process which appears to be quite straightforward.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/...d-vehicles

I shall be testing this out in due course with the two seat special that I am about to base on a Ruby chassis.
This thread might be of some help....

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1367&highlight=rebody
Opal is never going to be 'saloon' or Coupe. Surely Tourer?
Jon Bonnett.
That is what I thought regarding the points system, but the post on Facebook caused me to wonder. My car will be sporting the standard chassis, axles, brakes, steering, engine and gearbox, so I shall be interested to hear how you get on. What style of body are you planning to fit?

Stuart.
I shall read that thread again. It was actually started by me and had answered my questions, until the Facebook comment made me wonder.

JonE
I imagine that it would be "tourer" as well.

Perhaps someone with an Opal, Pearl or an original soft top Chummy might be happy to have a look at their log book to see what that says.

Regards,

Jamie.
Our PD 2-seater is described as "Make: Austin", "Model: Seven Tourer".
I'm hoping to build something along the lines of the Bill Williams Cambridge Birkin Maserati inspired car. There are a number of pictures in Bill Williams book. Stuart Ulph who has more than one of these cars has been incredibly helpful in providing information to help me on my way. My car will never be, nor intended to be a replica but it will be a nod to the Williams car. Mine will be built on a long wheelbase chassis and, without a blower taking space up front, I'll be able to bring the radiator cowling back to the front axle rather than being well in front of it. A couple of photos attached.

.jpg   VB7571c.jpg (Size: 47.15 KB / Downloads: 144)