The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre 1930 hand brake images
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any detailed drawings or photos of the uncoupled handbrake mechanism to suit a mid 1929 chummy.

I've search Woodrow, the green Companion, and Googled every which way but I can't find enough information to understand how the mechanism goes together and in particular how it mounts on the chassis. The best information I can find is from the parts list and the handbook, however these general arrangement images don't really show enough detail for me to understand how it all goes together.

The diagram below is the best image I can find. The red arrows show the areas I'm struggling with. 

.jpg   handbrake.jpg (Size: 101.16 KB / Downloads: 150)

On the left, the question is, what does the forward end of the ratchet rack mount to?

On the right, how does the hand lever attach to the main bracket at the top - my lever has a bend in it around here and can't bolt up tight to the bracket, so I'm wondering if it should be straightened or if I'm missing a spacer or something?

If anyone has any photos that show the detail of this area I'd be most greatful if you can share them.

Andrew
Melbourne
Australia
Look on the A7CA archive.

Parts list 353L

BK 26 screws into the back of the 3 speed gearbox, the hole in the other end is what the ratchet ( 2 x BK 25) is fixed to.

If you take the bolt BK11 in the position shown, put the brake lever between it and the main part BK10, push the bolt through a hole in the handbrake and use another bolt to fix the bottom hole of the handbrake to the bottom hole in the side of BK 10, so the bottom of the lever is level with the bottom of BK 10 you have the assembly.

The handbrake is often bent because it doesn't quite clear some rubber couplings.  

As standard, the lower part is flat against BK 10.

If a four speed box is fitted, you have to find another way to fix the end of the BK 25s in place.   Mine is on a J shaped piece of .25" bar, not only bent through the J shape but twisted as well, so one horizontal end bolts to the body bracket and the other vertical end supports the BK 25s.

Simple and neat, if you have enough heat to form it.

Simon

Look at other parts lists for different configurations.
Ah! the gearbox, of course.  Blush

My chassis is nowhere near its gearbox at present, I've been standing there looking at just the chassis and wondering, looking for any additional holes in the chassis to mount things, wondering what BK26 in the parts list was for, now it begins to make sense.

It does sound like I need to straighten my hand brake lever, then see if, and where, it needs adjusting once everything is installed.
-A