The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
charging question.
Thanks, Ray. Glad to be of some assistance. Alas, not playing with the Seven today:-

"Awake! For Springtime, after rain and snow
Has flung the stone that makes the grass to grow.
So, I must go, now all my Sevening's done
Into the shed to make the lawnmower run."

(With profound apologies to Omar Khayam)
10 hours ago
SUCCESS!!!!

I had been worried that the spring was unsuitable. It was far to weak and had been soldered at one end ( I presume to stop it falling off!)   I have replaced it with a slightly heavier one and it works perfectly. It is not too strong to affect the contacts from closing but assists the reverse current to allow opening at a normal tick over.

31-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Ray,

"If the cut out points are not separating when the voltage is reduced what can I do to fix it please?"

My electrical knowledge is sketchy but from earlier discussions the cut out spring may have lost a little tension - it is possible to increase the spring tension by slightly bending down the bottom bracket ? 

Tony.

Always look for the simple solution.
Hi Tony. I took your advise and increased the tension by bending the bracket slightly, but the spring was still too weak. It was the wrong size and gauge and quite unsuitable for the task. The person who had fitted it had soldered it on - presumably to avoid the risk of it falling off - and so I replaced it with a slightly shorter one of a slightly stronger tension. I greatly appreciate your advise and give you full credit for steering me in the right direction. Thanks.
Thank you .
The mystery is that the engine had to be revved quite hard to close the cutout.
One thing there is now less risk of it sticking closed when stopped.
There will be specs somewhere for cut in and out volts (latter not as in car) but few can organise the variable voltage source to test.
(02-04-2019, 12:30 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: The mystery is that the engine had to be revved quite hard to close the cutout.
One thing there is now less risk of it sticking closed when stopped.
There will be specs somewhere for cut in and out volts (latter not as in car) but few can organise the variable voltage source to test.

I think the brushes may have been sticking but now, with some use, they are operating freely and all is well.

(Having said that, I took the car out for a run and suffered a blocked jet..... You can't win sometimes!)