The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I might need to replace this....
I’ve been slowly disassembling and cleaning my ‘29 chummy box of bits, recently I got to the front hand brake lever.
It was as a bit rough, so a week in the molasses bath and a pressure wash to see what was underneath the rust and muck showed it looked ok, so time to disassemble it and clean up the parts.

And I today find this....

Might need a new one, or two of these pins!

It’s a nice reminder to check every little part, especially the bits that hold the wheels on or stop the car.....
Apropos things that might need replacing...

Last week I tackled a persistent weeping from the top water branch on a low-comp head. It's been doing it for a very, very long time. 

The nut came off fine but the branch needed a tap to free it - at which point it came off with the stud attached. And then I could see that there was nothing left of the lower thread and nothing left of the thread in the head. It was only rust and the perished gasket that was holding it all together. 

.jpg   stud.jpg (Size: 80.76 KB / Downloads: 397)
I wonder how many times you have to pull on a handbrake to wear the pin like that?
I do wonder if they are the original pins.
The holes in the brackets will need bushing to get them back to round and down to the right size.
It was only rust and the perished gasket that was holding it all together.

That's called historic reliability where I come from Big Grin
New pivots and pins, weld up and redrill the holes in bracket and you are away.Did mine only the other day
All my pins are recycled big end bolts.

Don't know why but it amuses me.
Just looked at 7 oiling chart oil weekly it says on these now we know why?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Still a few miles left in that!
Maintenance books state check for wear and replace but many amateurs are uncertain of the limits. No decisions here. 
A colleague recently restored a model A Ford. This degree of wear was evident throughout. It was characteristic of many older cars. Here used for decades on unsealed roads and the many latter owners skipped maintenance. The Sevens I scrapped or saw scrapped were certainly due for it. By contrast moderns go to the scrap pile incredibly unworn. Even the upholstery survives. Wandering around modern wrecking yards, the waste is quite dispiriting.