The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEERING COLUMN SPLINE.
Hi Guys . My steering column spline has been extended,the longer spline welded to original spline. My question is ,if I cut off the extended part , do you think iI will be able to recover the original . Some of the original spline is showing. Any thoughts or views appreciated.
Regards Rob RPM
Possibly, but presumably the weld has destroyed the threads.Would need to see a photo really.
Sounds like a lathe job, part off the extension leaving enough to screwcut a new thread.
Suggest you post a photo Rob. I can't really see why not as long as you are able to clean up the spline ends.
Less sure about the metallurgy - whether it may have been weakened.
Hi Rob,
What car is the column from ?
Nippys had a longer column so it could be an extended box saloon column made to fit a Nippy.

Cheers Richard
what about the steering box, Rob - is that a 9E one or is it a standard one wedged to the right sport angle?
Hi Guys apologies for late reply, The box has 9E ... stamped on the main body. Don't think colunm been messed with , just that the wheel, Bluemels stands away from colunm by about 2" and what looks like a spine on top of spline and blob of weld. Could be the original was damaged , although you would have thought if that the case, you would cut old off and reweld or have re cut. I will post a pic tomorrow.
Thanks again all.
Rob RPM