The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis number location Mid 1927?
AllAlloyCup - your chassis & engine numbers were only on the rear cross member because all Pram Hoods were stamped there (as well as the front nearside, forward of the engine foot), but this former was discontinued in late 1926.
Hedd, am confident you'll find it stamped on the front left, as I've never seen it anywhere else on a 1927.  I recall saying this once before on the Forum but you queried that at the time 'cos you said one of your chasses had a plate on the rear.  This was because it had a Gordon England body, whereas I was only talking of standard chasses.  No one else had plates attached. Even the numbers on crankcases  that came out of Gordon England generally had different numbers to the standard Longbridge jobs.  Good Luck with your search.  BTW, is your inlet water pipe still holding up?  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Hi Bill,

David Cochrane confirmed that my car had probably been
a Pram Hood Chummy body, but sadly(?) I don’t have the 6” axles
Nor a mag engine.( I decided to go for an early coil engine as I know nothing about
Magnetos)

I knew GE cars had such a makers ( Austin) chassis plate stating that they were the property of
the factory( till sold as completed cars) .

My understanding was that other “volume” coach builders using chassis
bought from Longbridge also had a similar plate?

So Swallow, Mulliner etc models may have also had this plate?

Can anyone confirm that?

Presumably the chassis etc were supplied by Austin on a sale or return basis
and coach builders only paid Austin when completed cars were sold.

If by some misfortune they went out of business   Austin’s could retrieve
Their property without going through the administrator or liquidator?

Ps I’d love a plate to borrow to make some facsimiles...

All the best

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Correction to above & apologies.  My mention of Gordon England - it should have read G.E. Brooklands - not sure about the crankcases in Cups or their saloons.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Bill. The side water branch is doing sterling service on this. Just fetched daughter No1 from school. Many thanks

[Image: 008_1745.jpg]
(27-03-2019, 11:03 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Jon, also for reference. A aluminium plate on the rear crossmember is also a possibility for chassis number location

not for factory cars though... buy it if its got a plate!!

Have you found it yet? We're all waiting patiently...
Nope!. Not in either location. Not buying it

The factory fitted those plates......
Could it be one of those 1929s then with no stamp?! Any turn ups on the chassis rails?

pic of one of these 'ere plates??
this one has holes under where the spring mounts, tubular strengtheners and bolted extensions. Deffo not 1929!