The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed clutch pedal spring replacement
Is there a cunning ruse to replace or remount without removing the engine? 
I see it's a tight fit in there and I'm imagining that the casting locator has broken off. At present, I've just stuffed some rubber betwixt pedal and engine to stop pedal riding on the clutch apparatus inside.
You will need to remove (or lift - if your firewall is modified) the box to do this correctly.

In the meantime you could consider fitting a large suitable coil spring between the back of the pedal and the floor pan, it will (temporarily?), do the same job.
Jon the 3spd clutch pedal spring keeps the pedal in contact with the release bearing as the bearing is rotating all the time, it is not a pedal return spring if you have an original clutch release bearing. If a 4spd release bearing has been fitted then you need a return spring as the 4spd bearing only rotates when you engage the clutch.   Terry.
Thanks both, but I'm also a bit confused now about what the external spring is doing! It gently sits on the internals and I can bring the pedal 'up' and away by finger pressure. I'm assuming it's likely a standard 3 speed innards, yes - but presume I can test this by listening to noise down there.

I will go the coil spring route in the short term if it's good practice for the pedal to be away, but Terry, are you saying that the spring might actually be doing its job as it is? i.e. is it actually doing the opposite of a 4 speed pedal spring?

Sorry to be dense.
When this happened to me I made a little tab that fitted on the little bolt that holds the oil filler (on a coil car), found a suitable tension spring, and fitted it between my tab, and a large key ring 'ring' that I slipped over the pedal. It sat quite happily in the 90 degree bend in the pedal.

The spring is essentially to hold the clutch bearing against the toggles. You really do not want them coming out. Trust me.
The spring I have to hand is not ideal, but you get the picture...

I've just thought of a quick solution (looking after wild grandson age 3 and just been given a welcome break). Take the dangly bit that captures the clutch lever and rotate it anti-clockwise through 360 degrees or whatever direction increases its tension that will pull back the pedal more effectively. Should be able to do this without moving anything significant or adding any additional springs.
OK - it all becomes clear thankyou. Perhaps my spring IS working fine. I was applying modern 'riding the clutch' thinking to the problem, which is not a problem because of the exact opposite requirement for the 3 speed system.

I AM the problem.
yes, the clutch springs return the pedal to the up position. the spring on the shaft just takes the slack out of the mechanism so the toggles do not come out of the bearing.