The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No (accu) spark - test sequence?
(27-03-2019, 02:33 PM)Paul N-M Wrote: Hi All,
This thread thows up an interesting question, well for me at least. I simply don't see the point of buying and fitting a piece of 'modern' technology because it's supposed to work better but having such little faith in it that you feel the need to carry an old tech spare.
Having parted with good money, something Seven owners have a reputation for not eagerly doing, I would expect, no demand, that it has the reliability of modern car systems. It is after all being sold as a fully tested working product and many after market electronic conversions are sold every day and are perfectly reliable year after year.
There are of course other factors that can effect reliability which impact on electronics that any particular gadget maker has little or no control over so attention has to be paid to these by the car owner ensuring all is in top working order and in this case the electrical system would be at the top of the list.
Having said all that if there is still doubt then why not make sure the old fashioned points systems work properly? Of course to make a good quality points distributor with alternative advance curves etc would probably be a lot more expensive than an attractively priced electronic unit but what price reliability and as I said at the top the need to carry a spare?
Am I alone in this thinking?

Paul N-M

No, Paul, you are not. I bought a rebuilt (admittedly DJ) distributor of ebay (£65.00 plus p & p) which immediately cured all the niggly running faults and increased the power. In fact i was so impressed, that I sent the lad my old distributor which he overhauled for £45.00 (plus p & p) which I am going to keep as a spare. The ignition system is now in good and standard condition. The car starts first time every time when cold and (allowing for the fact that the carb drips fuel into the manifold) hot. I see no reason to mess with the system. It may be different for the Ruby lads, though, with automatic advance and retard.

Messages In This Thread
No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 26-03-2019, 03:19 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 26-03-2019, 05:41 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 26-03-2019, 09:45 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 27-03-2019, 09:57 AM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by David Stepney - 27-03-2019, 03:52 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 27-03-2019, 10:30 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 28-03-2019, 08:58 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 02-04-2019, 10:01 PM
RE: No (accu) spark - test sequence? - by JonE - 05-04-2019, 04:31 PM