The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honeycomb radiator recore?
As per the thread title, has anybody on here had a honeycomb rad re cored? if so, could you share who did the work  -there doesn't seem to be an abundance of people doing this   -any guidance on the whether I'm going to need to sell a kidney to get the rad looking right would be good too.   This isn't actually for one of my  A7s, it's for another 20's car i have, the rad core is about the same size as that on an Austin 20.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies, Stuart.
Hi stuart,

I had 3 austin 7 honeycomb rads done by Tony welder.

Sadly missed the cut off for £325.00 aparently the manufacturers now know it's being used in vintage cars.

Had to pay £425.00 each 2 to 3 years ago.

He may charge more know.

Done an excellent job though, highly recommended.

Tony.
There is a place at Bicester Heritage that does them but they are very expensive. They reckoned a minimum of £700 when I asked about mine.

http://www.vintagecarradiatorcompany.co.uk/about/

The chap who put a modern core in mine (A1 Radiator services at Banbury) reckoned that it would cost £400-500 for him just to buy in the core.

If you do find someone affordable, let me know.
Lots of radiator repair men can fit the honeycombe core but very few people make them. Most repairers get the core, made to size from Vintage Wings and Radiators in Manchester (you can Google for the address) and then fit them. They are not cheap though.....
I cheated, modern core with a grille of honeycomb in front of it (all integral with the rad) You get the benefit of better cooling and looks like the original. Much cheaper than proper honeycomb, but if you are a purist, it wouldn't suit!
Tony Wilder has now retired - so I understand. Sad news as the rad work (including honeycomb) he did for me over the years was fantastic.
That's sad news for the austin seven and MG world.

Tony was by far the cheapest I knew.

Stuart, it looks like you may have to get a valuation on that kidney.

Tony.
Not wishing to get too anal. But I had understood honeycomb core was only used for a short period in late 1929 or early 1930. My interest was sparked by such a rad I have in my chummy. Most of the cars earlier and later had a Serk pattern A (from memory). Basically a wiggly vertical zig zag seperated by a gap. Also availible from the same source noted above.

When I did my saloon some years ago I had a modern core fitted, but set back sufficiently to later fit a 6mm thick honeycomb dummy in front, which I recall I stuck on with Tigerseal.

It looks good, but the modern core doesnt hold so much water as a pukka vintage core and thus the car does boil when driven like I was tought when 3 up - "Never take your foot off the throttle, and if you do, never, ever use the brake"
I have used Anglia Radiators in Cambridge several times and found thieir work to be excellent.
When I bought a new core for the cup model, the cost was the same for an a-type or honeycomb core. 5 years ago, the cost was £300+ vat for the core alone. I fitted it myself.

Peter