The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED indicators
I will just repeat something mentioned in a separate post on this site that LED bulbs, including indicators cannot legally be used in our cars. They do not comply with the standard at which the car was originally tested.

John
(26-03-2019, 01:14 PM)jboy964 Wrote: I will just repeat something mentioned in a separate post on this site that LED bulbs, including indicators cannot legally be used in our cars. They do not comply with the standard at which the car was originally tested.

John

Is this just being legalistic or is it more important than that?
Charles this link may help to explain https://blog.motoringassist.com/news/fit...r-legally/

John

Should have added that there is legislation relating to classic and vintage vehicles and the type of lighting that can be used.
Oh good....back to 3w bulbs in the rear lights..............
And get a decent dynamo
(26-03-2019, 02:02 PM)jboy964 Wrote: Charles this link may help to explain https://blog.motoringassist.com/news/fit...r-legally/

John

Should have added that there is legislation relating to classic and vintage vehicles and the type of lighting that can be used.

Hi John, thanks for the link though it didn’t throw a lot of light on the matter for me — I must be a little dim.
Speaking to one of the principle suppliers of LED conversions, he reckons the law is somewhat behind the technology. That , of course,is just an opinion. 
My approach is based on what is best practice to make driving safer on today’s roads. That means seeing and being seen. LEDs do help in this respect. 
This leave a nagging feeling that I’m falling foul of the law, albeit in a relatively mild way. I think my pragmatic approach to this will be to get my Sevens MOT tested. I was enjoying a holiday from this annual chore (and expense) but this might be a way forward. There would be a better defense in a court of law if armed with an MOT certificate.
Would be interested to hear what others think.

Charles
One of the insurance conditions is “ the vehicle must be maintained and kept in a roadworthy condition at all times” Roadwothy means it must comply with the relevant laws.

It would be petty for an insurer to reject a claim on the basis of LED bulbs, but they would be within their rights.Infringe the policy conditions at your peril!

Remember they are a business, they are in it to show a profit voiding claims helps them.

Cars with cone filters, wide wheels, Superchip motifs, stickers etc always attract extra attention from the inspecting engineer.

Having read the link I am now not inclined to fit LED

You could declare the LED’s as a modification at policy inception, if not rejected by the insurer at that point you probably would be ok in the event of a claim.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll let my insurer know
That I’ve changed the body skin from plywood
and cotton to aluminium as well :-) :-)
I suppose I’d better also tell them that my front brakes aren’t connected
to the back brakes.

I do now have safety glass which is probably Non standard
To the original specification.

These old cars can be very dangerous.
Regards

Bill G

Aka AllAlloyCup
Based near the Scottish Border,
(26-03-2019, 11:02 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: And get a decent dynamo

You'll certainly be  needing that.

From "The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989" section regarding headlights

© A motor vehicle with four or more wheels first used before 1st April 1986:

30 watts minimum

The document wouldn't count as a rattling good read, but the section on position lights -i.e. sidelights said there was "no requirement" as regards wattage for these  in schedule 2, part 1, sub para 8. perhaps that's contradicted later in the document.
(27-03-2019, 09:13 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote: One of the insurance conditions is “ the vehicle must be maintained and kept in a roadworthy condition at all times” Roadwothy means it must comply with the relevant laws.

It would be petty for an insurer to reject a claim on the basis of LED bulbs, but they would be within their rights.Infringe the policy conditions at your peril!

Remember they are a business, they are in it to show a profit voiding claims helps them.

Cars with cone filters, wide wheels, Superchip motifs, stickers etc always attract extra attention from the inspecting engineer.

Having read the link I am now not inclined to fit LED

You could declare the LED’s as a modification at policy inception, if not rejected by the insurer at that point you probably would be ok in the event of a claim.

Ok but I would argue that “being roadworthy” and “complying with the law” are two different things. Of course it is essential to be road worthy and having good lights will ensure that. 

Charles